Dauntless fire extinguisher storage box

A conversation among Whalers
Dauntless

Dauntless fire extinguisher storage box

Postby Dauntless » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:41 pm

The fire extinguisher storage box in the side of the console on my 2006 Dauntless 180 is cracked.

Where can a replacement be purchased?

So far amazon and eBay have no matching sizes and a search for a Boston Whaler part has yielded no results.

jimh

Re: Dauntless fire extinguisher storage box

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:27 am

How did you conduct your search for a Boston Whaler part?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:48 am

Take a look at the specifications to the various models offered by SSI.
Screen shot taken from their catalog:
SSIExtinguisherBoxes.jpg
SSIExtinguisherBoxes.jpg (116.43 KiB) Viewed 3885 times

CF:http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SSI-2019-Product-Catalog.pdf

If this does not meet your needs, consider reviewing the diagram titled "180-Dauntless-Console-Assembly-and-Parts-List-2006", sheet 6 of 8 for item marked #15. This diagram is located under the "Resources" menu item, under "Whaler Ownership" menu header of Boston Whaler's website.

On the Parts list, sheet 7 of 8, the part labelled as #15 is described as: [i]Box ABS BW-97 Fire Ext Short WHT"[i/] and has a BWI # (internal Whaler part number) of 1037555.

I would contact Sue Lodel, Parts Manager of Beacon/Twin Cities Marine at www.beacontcm.com and share with her the above information and ask if she can locate the original item or a suitable replacement.

CF: http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/180-Dauntless-Console-Assembly-and-Parts-List-2006.pdf
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:22 am

Can you fix the crack and paint it?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:50 pm

jimh wrote:How did you conduct your search for a Boston Whaler part?
Google.

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:53 pm

biggiefl wrote:Can you fix the crack and paint it?

The plastic storage box itself is cracked. I suppose I could just tape it from inside the console but I’d rather do it right and just replace.

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Phil T wrote:Take a look at the specifications to the various models offered by SSI.

I found the SSI and they looked really nice but were too tall. I was hoping to find a drop in replacement.

Wow. Strong work on that parts list number. That’s what I was hoping for. I’ll call Sue and ask her.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:42 am

Dauntless wrote:
Google.
What search terms did you use?

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:55 pm

jimh wrote:
Dauntless wrote:
Google.
What search terms did you use?

I think maybe “whaler Dauntless 180 fire extinguisher storage box”, “Whaler fire extinguisher storage box” , “Boston Whaler fire extinguisher box”, “fire extinguisher cabinet”, stuff like that.

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:06 am

[Here this post includes material from a prior post by a different person. When quoting someone please indicate that by using the quoted text marking. The follow should be attributed to PHIL, and I have added the quote marking—Moderator]
I would contact Sue Lodel, Parts Manager of Beacon/Twin Cities Marine at http://www.beacontcm.com and share with her the above information and ask if she can locate the original item or a suitable replacement

Wow, just spoke to Sue. She is really nice and helpful and is having the original -[Boston Whaler] part sent to me.

Thanks so much to everyone for the help.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:44 am

Dauntless wrote:
jimh wrote:What search terms did you use?

I think maybe “whaler Dauntless 180 fire extinguisher storage box”, “Whaler fire extinguisher storage box” , “Boston Whaler fire extinguisher box”, “fire extinguisher cabinet”, stuff like that.

Did you make the search specific to a particular web domain? For example, specifically to WHALER.COM?

I don’t believe that Boston Whaler has ANY on-line listings of their part inventory. Also much of the content on WHALER.COM is not static HTML but is session generated. Non-static content is quite hard for search engines to index.

For those reasons I have little hope you could find any information about Boston Whaler part inventory on-line.

Also, these days GOOGLE search results are polluted with paid placement links to the point that the search result content becomes almost useless. I find now that BING.com offers better search result, and those results won’t be polluted with dozens of paid placements.

In short, your attempt to find information from Boston Whaler using a GOOGLE search was—as you found—unlikely to produce any outcome of a result that was useful. A call to Boston Whaler customer service in the old days would probably have produced a quick answer. Now Boston Whaler customer service seems oriented to written inquiries using a submission form.

In truth, the fastest way to get information on a part for fairly recently made boats is to call Sue Lodel, as Phil advises.

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:18 am

Great advice on both BING.COM and Sue. I will try both from now on. Thank you for taking the time advise.