Semiannual Yacht Migration

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Semiannual Yacht Migration

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:14 am

The Fall migration of Snowbirds (Northerners going to the Southern US for the Winter) is underway. Several yachts with Northern state hailing ports on the transoms have been seen heading East in the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway over the past few days. Some are cruising in the waterway at night which is ill advised as the water has a lot of debris caused by Hurricane Sally.

Recently observed heading West in the waterway was the sports fishing yacht Mary P, reputedly the largest yacht of it's type ever built. It's LOA is 122 feet. It's hailing port is in Louisiana.
Butch

jimh

Re: Semiannual Yacht Migration

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:45 am

I found this image of the MARY P:

https://megayachtnews.com/2019/03/mary- ... usel-45022

It looks like the tender on the foredeck is a Boston Whaler.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:52 am

Thank you for the photograph. She is an impressive looking yacht fisherman. The interior pictures are also impressive and show that virtually any interior is possible with a virtually unlimited budget. I wouldn't want to walk on that salon carpet with shoes worn outdoors. It's simply too beautiful to use.
Butch

hauptjm

Postby hauptjm » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 am

You can now purchase the Mary P for a mere $15 million

https://www.merlewood.com/luxury-yacht-for-sale-117649/mary-p-yacht

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 am

She is a beautiful yacht but I doubt I could afford to pay for the fuel and crew to deliver her from Louisiana to Alabama. She passed us heading Eastward on Wednesday afternoon and again heading home on Thursday morning. She spent the night safely at "The Wharf" in Orange Beach. We have two commercial fishing boats moored in an uncompleted marina across the waterway from us. They show up for every tropical event predicted to make landfall in Louisiana or Mississippi. It's a nice "hurricane hole" and costs them nothing. I suspect they are home ported on Dauphin Island, AL.
Butch