Optimal time of year to buy a used outboard engine

A conversation among Whalers
FL21WAC

Optimal time of year to buy a used outboard engine

Postby FL21WAC » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:32 am

What time of year is best for selection and value when buying used outboard engines?

To my mind, influential factors would include: (1) winter vs summer and (2) repower season (spring) vs non-repower season (the assumption being that more good take-offs are on the market.

I think December is best for prices. Spring is best for selection. Thoughts?

Might be important to note; I am in Florida. Regional variability is possible.

My reason for asking is to inform my search for a engine for an Outrage 18, which I am refitting at present.

I am not interested in buying a new engine.
1991 21 Walkaround, 2001 Yamaha 250 OX66
1987 Outrage 18 [project]

jimh

Re: Optimal time of year to buy a used outboard motor

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:05 am

FL21WAC wrote:I am in Florida.

Boating is year round in Florida, so I do not see much seasonal influence.

Outboard engines can accumulate running hours much faster there, and saltwater use likely makes frequent re-powering more common.

I don’t see a trend to a particular month as optimal.

About the only influence I see is the tendency for new outboard engine sales to have promotional incentives in January through March. Those incentives may increase new engine sales, and new engine sales should increase used engine sales.

PATXBill

Re: Optimal time of year to buy a used outboard engine

Postby PATXBill » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:57 am

In my experience over the past 15 years of debating new and used outboard engines, the best time for selection and value when buying a used outboard engine is a small, random window of time in which a engine that meets your criteria is available for purchase and you have cash funds available to strike a deal immediately.

Restated, here is my advice:
1. Set the criteria for an acceptable purchase: price, brand, controls, wiring harness, de-rig/re-rig, etc. Yes, your time matters, too.
2. Set aside sufficient funds for the purchase.
3. Continually scan ebay, craigslist, boattrader, dealer sites, and continuouswave. Automated notices and aggregators are useful.
4. When you find a potential deal, get an engine report or mechanic's evaluation and move fast.

I'm extremely picky and set a specific list. I eventually purchased a used Evinrude E-TEC G2 250 for my 1984 Outrage 22. So far I've been extremely happy with it.

Good luck.