Disambiguation of OUTRAGE V-20 from OUTRAGE 20

A conversation among Whalers
Outrage 20

Disambiguation of OUTRAGE V-20 from OUTRAGE 20

Postby Outrage 20 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:26 pm

[Moderator's note: separated from another discussion on a different topic in a different forum and made into its own topic in THE GAM.]

[From what is assumed to be an article in the REFERENCE section with the title] 1978–1985 Outrage V–20.

Q1: [can] l assume that any 20 that falls into those dates [is] the V-20?

Mine is an 81.

Thanks

jimh

Re: Disambiguation of OUTRAGE V-20 from OUTRAGE 20

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:18 pm

Outrage 20 wrote:Jim, This is from the link above....

HELLO "Outrage 20"--if you want to refer to something, please use a URL. I infer that you are referring to my article in the REFERENCE section at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/V20Outrage/

Please use a URL so there is no confusion.

Outrage 20 wrote:...1978–1985 Outrage V–20. [Can I] assume that any 20 that falls into those dates [is] the V-20?

If you read the article you will see that the designator "Outrage V-20" is used therein to describe ALL the 20-foot Outrage boats made in the era 1978 to 1985. Please read section of the REFERENCE article that begins "HERE COMES THE FIRST BOSTON WHALER VEE HULL" which will explain the confusion that can exist between names used for the OUTRAGE V-20 in various years. That section explains exactly what names were used by Boston Whaler and when. However, rather than expect all readers to remember and make this disambiguation based on knowing what year the boat was produced, the original designator V-20 is preferred for use as the model name for all the boats made in the period 1979 to 1985, and the designator OUTRAGE 20 is used for the other hull, a different hull, with different characteristics made after 1985.

Outrage 20 wrote:Mine is an 81.
PLEASE USE FOUR DIGITS FOR YEARS

Again, see the cited section of the REFERENCE article to learn how to describe your boat so it is not confused with later models called an OUTRAGE 20 that are entirely different hulls.

If the boat you have is similar to the several OUTRAGE V-20 boats shown in illustrations in the REFERENCE article, then that boat is what we will call an OUTRAGE V-20 so it will not be confused for a later model introduced c. 1986 that was called the OUTRAGE 20.