1962 13-footer One Question and Two Observations

A conversation among Whalers
jamorr04

1962 13-footer One Question and Two Observations

Postby jamorr04 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:37 pm

I am a new owner of a 1962 13-footer that is in rough shape. Some curious findings so far:

• there are two corner brackets bolted through the aft corners and cracking in both corners; were these added on after the fact or part of original design?
  • there is cracking of what seems like the fiberglass gel coat on the hull but instead of foam under the crack there is a hard brown surface
  • I have not been able to find the hull ID number, I looked below the engine mounts on the transom and the starboard side of the transom, will check the anchor locker next

[Moderator's note: I removed some comments about activities that will occur in the future. It is best to post a notice about problems or about accomplishments in repairs or renovations as they occur. Please feel completely free in the future to post more questions as they arise.]

jimh

Re: 1962 13-footer One Question and Two Observations

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:08 am

jamorr04 wrote:there are two corner brackets bolted through the aft corners and cracking in both corners, were these added on after the fact or part of original design?

You can see several photographs of the original 13-foot hull in the REFERENCE section article and its several related articles, and from these illustrations you may be able to answer your question yourself. In order for readers to answer your questions, you must provide a clear photograph to illustrate the "corner bracket" devices you are asking about.

jamorr04 wrote:there is cracking of what seems like the fiberglass gel coat on the hull but instead of foam under the crack there is a hard brown surface

The gel coat layer on a Boston Whaler Unibond hull is generally only about 0.020-inches thick. Below the gel coat layer will be a layer of laminates consisting of various composites of polyester resin and cloth fillers--the fiberglass--which generally in older boats have a greenish hue. The interior foam layer is only revealed if both the gel coat layer and the multi-layer fiberglass layers have been damaged. The interior foam may appear to be white, tan, or brownish, depending on age and exposure. The hardness of the foam is generally not particularly great. Typically cured foam can be indented with application of pressure.

For information on the repair of a Unibond hull, please read

Repairing Hull Damage the Whaler Way
by Taylor Clark

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/whalerRepair.html

This nicely written and wonderfully illustrated article shows clearly areas of a Unibond hull that are damaged.

jamorr04 wrote:have not been able to find the hull id number, I looked below the engine mounts on the transom and the starboard side of the transom, will check the anchor locker next[/list]

Questions about identification numbers are very frequently asked. As a result, the first and second answers prepared for the article known as FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS or the FAQ are answers on this topic. As you are new to Boston Whaler classic era boats, you need to read the entire FAQ, and I suspect you will find answers to questions you are about to ask as well. See:

Frequently Asked Questions
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

The resources of the website that provide information about Boston Whaler boats are not limited to the forum you are now participating in. I recommend you jump to

http://contionuouswave.com/whaler/

and begin browsing from there.

You should also be certain to read the REFERENCE articles on the 13-foot hull, beginning at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/13/

jamorr04

Re: 1962 13-footer One Question and Two Observations

Postby jamorr04 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:41 pm

Thank you jimh for the quick response. I am impressed by the cleanup of my unfortunately sloppy post.

I have read some of the great references you linked below which motivated me to participate in this forum. I think I will break out my questions into separate posts with pictures embedded and post in the REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS section as recommended.