Engine Shaft Length, Weight, Cable Lengths, Propeller Selection, Cost of Modern Engines

A conversation among Whalers
boatsmith

Engine Shaft Length, Weight, Cable Lengths, Propeller Selection, Cost of Modern Engines

Postby boatsmith » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 pm

[What is the] engine shaft length for a SUPER SPORT 15?

[What is an appropriate maximum] engine weight for a SUPER SPORT 15?

[What is the appropriate length] for a steering cable for a SUPER SPORT 15?

BACKSTORY: just bought a 1987 Super Sport 15 with a hull in mint condition. [There is a] new interior to be installed. This boat has a steering wheel, cushions, fresh-water use, no bottom paint, and an original trailer in good shape. I need to buy an engine of about 60-HP, a tachometer, a control box and a propeller.

R DAVIS

Re: Engine Shaft Length, Weight, Cable Lengths

Postby R DAVIS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 pm

I have a 1982 Sport 15. I recently purchased a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60 engine with 20-inch shaft. Tachometer and control box are also Tohatsu original equipment. I added an Atlas Heavy Duty hydraulic jack plate with a 6-inch setback. I fish in shallow saltwater bays in south Texas. I installed a three-bladed 14-pitch propeller. This is the perfect setup for me, and the boat runs 36-MPH trimmed out with a moderate load.

[A lengthy article in praise of Tohatsu engines has been moved to its own thread--Moderator.]

boatsmith

Postby boatsmith » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:15 am

R Davis: What was the cost of your Tohatsu outboard engine?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:31 am

boatsmith wrote:[What is the] engine shaft length for a SUPER SPORT 15?

Information about the shaft length for the Boston Whaler 15-foot hull is given in the REFERENCE article on the 15-foot hull in the REFERENCE section of the website. Follow this link to the REFERENCE section:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

Follow this link to the REFERENCE article on the 15-foot hull:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/15/

For specifications for ALL classic-era Boston Whaler boats follow this link to the REFERENCE article on All Models:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tions.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am

boatsmith wrote:[What is an appropriate maximum] engine weight for a SUPER SPORT 15?

Boston Whaler did not publish any specifications for maximum engine weight for their boats in the classic production era, so there is no particular weight to refer to as a specified maximum. The most reasonable inference to make regarding engine weight is to use the maximum engine horsepower rating and use the weight of engines of that era.

The maximum horsepower rating for the SUPER SPORT 15 is given in the REFERENCE article on that hull. With remote steering, a 70-HP engine could be used.

To find the weight of a 70-HP outboard engine in that era, refer to a collection of data on the WEIGHT OF OLDER OUTBOARD ENGINES at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011042.html

There you will find that a typical three-cylinder 70-HP outboard with power tilt and trim would have a weight of about 250-lbs.

On that basis, a very reasonable engine weight for a SUPER SPORT 15 would be about 250-lbs.

There is also a very good discussion on the topic of MAXIMUM ENGINE WEIGHT in the archives. I recommend you read

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002449.html

In that article I infer that the maximum engine weight for the 15-foot hull would be about 264-lbs.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am

boatsmith wrote:[What is the appropriate length] for a steering cable for a SUPER SPORT 15?

I don't have any basis from my own experience to offer a length for you. You can search for replies from others on this topic in the archives. See the search link at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/

You can also search the new forum with the link at

search.php

jimh

Re: Weight of Modern Engines of 60-HP

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:47 am

Regarding modern outboard engines of 60-HP with a weight less than 264-lbs, it appears that the Yamaha F60 weighs only 247-lbs. The F70 weighs 253-lbs.

I am sure there are other brands with 60-HP engine with similar weights. You can easily discover those options for yourself by visiting manufacturer's websites.

jimh

Re: Selecting a Propeller for an Unknown Engine

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:52 am

Regarding advice on buying a propeller: once you have made a decision on what engine brand, horsepower, and model to buy, begin a new thread in PERFORMANCE to solicit advice on propeller selection. Generally when buying a new engine from a dealer, the dealer should have experience with propeller selection for the engine brand and model and can offer advice. If buying from a dealer with experience in re-powering Boston Whaler boats, the dealer should include in his services to you as a new engine buyer the opportunity to sea-trial the new engine on your boat with a recommended propeller. If the sea trail does not produce the expected results, the dealer should be willing to test other propellers.

jimh

Re: Costs of Modern Engines

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:54 am

Regarding the cost of buying a new engine: the total cost of a new engine for re-powering is highly variable. I would liken it to seats on an airplane: they all sell at different prices. Many factors influence the costs. You need to contact local dealers and solicit quotations from them for the engine you decide you want to buy.

boatsmith

Re: Engine Shaft Length, Weight, Cable Lengths, Propeller Selection, Cost of Modern Engines

Postby boatsmith » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Great information and much appreciated.

R DAVIS

Postby R DAVIS » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:53 pm

boatsmith wrote:R Davis: What was the cost of your Tohatsu outboard engine?

[The cost for a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60 engine with 20-inch shaft was] about $ 9,100, including tachometer, controls, all other rigging, out the door, tax, title, and license. That price did not include the hydraulic jackplate.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm

R DAVIS wrote:[The cost for a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60 engine with 20-inch shaft was] about $ 9,100, including tachometer, controls, all other rigging, out the door, tax, title, and license.

The above price is said to include "...tax, title, and license."

With regard to "tax": the sale at retail of an outboard engine is certainly subject to state sales tax, but the sales tax rate varies widely among states and localities. There is no way to know what amount of tax was added to the cost of the new engine purchased by R DAVIS unless we knew what state he lived. If in parts of Tennessee, the sales tax could have been 9.55-percent. If in Delaware the sales tax could have been 0-percent. On a purchase of about $11,000, the variation between buying in Delaware and buying in Tennessee would have been $1,050--an amount worth considering when assessing the "cost" of the engine.

With regard to "title": outboard engines are only registered with the state authority with a title in about six states; unless you live in one of those six states that requires an outboard engine to have a title, the cost of obtaining a title will not be an element in your purchase of a new engine.

With regard to license, I have never heard of any requirement that an outboard engine be licensed. On that basis I am very curious to know:

• what state jurisdiction charged R DAVIS a fee to "license" his new outboard engine?
  • how much was the license fee?
  • and what is the expiration time of the license?

R DAVIS

Postby R DAVIS » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:23 pm

jimh wrote:The above price is said to include "...tax, title, and license."

What difference does it really make? He asked what I paid and I told him.

jimh

Re: Engine Shaft Length, Weight, Cable Lengths, Propeller Selection, Cost of Modern Engines

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:53 pm

How much was the title fee? I believe Texas is one of the six states that requires the outboard engine have a title.

I think states that require a title on an outboard could have two motives:
  • generate income for the state with the title fee;
  • protect the legitimate owner in case of theft.

R DAVIS

Postby R DAVIS » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:57 pm

jimh wrote:How much was the title fee?
Texas outboard engine title fee is $27. Sales tax is 6.25%
jimh wrote:I believe Texas is one of the six states that requires the outboard engine have a title. I think states that require a title on an outboard could have two motives:
  • generate income for the state with the title fee;
  • protect the legitimate owner in case of theft.
I suspect both motives you mention are applicable.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department handles boat registrations, boat titles, and outboard engine titles. The procedures for registering and titling of out-of-state boats, out-of-state outboard engines, and lost titles are straightforward.

Trailers are another matter. They are regulated through the DMV, and paid for through the county tax assessors office.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:54 am

I believe Texas has no income tax. The state needs income to operate thus there are a lot of fees and other taxes.
Butch

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:37 pm

Engine cost can vary widely on engine brand and location. When looking for a new Yamaha F70, dealers in my area weren't discounting much off full list at $10,000 plus rigging and materials. I contacted Boats.net and they quoted me $7,588 plus $250 shipping to my local dealer, and said the F70 was on backorder. I was able to purchase a new, in-the-crate Yamaha F70 (May 2020 build) for $7,200, no tax, no title, no rigging fees. My advice is to shop around.

As for a jackplate, I looked at them all and went with the TH Marine Microjacker. It's 23-lbs and hydraulic. On the 15-footer you can run the engine up nearly four inches and maintain propeller bite, maintain water for the engine cooling, and reduce your draft, and pick up speed. This is a 20-inch-shaft engine motor on a 20-inch-high transom, and I can lift (jack) the motor up a full five-inches above the transom.

Pictures show mounting then engine last weekend. The engine is not rigged. I have a few things I'm doing custom. I also need to purchase hardware of the proper length and strength.

D-

boatsmith

Postby boatsmith » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:26 am

Thanks DT. I am unlikely to get a jack plate.