Small Second Anchor

A conversation among Whalers
endus

Small Second Anchor

Postby endus » Wed May 26, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm looking for a second anchor for my 2004 Montauk 170. When I purchased the boat a few years ago I bought a Fortress FX-7 for it's low weight, for its resistance to corrosion, and because it had enough holding power for a significantly larger boat. I keep this on a 150' rode for emergencies (I would love to have even more rode on board but reason has to prevail at some point).

I also keep one of the tiny danforths the boat came with on board on a 50' rode. We wind up using this most of the time because we are anchoring in very shallow water, with minimal waves and current, and where we remain on the boat or swim nearby. I also use it as a stern anchor when anchoring stern-to on the beach.

I want to replace the danforth with something small, easy to handle, and made from stainless or aluminum. If fortress made a smaller anchor I would buy it, but perhaps the weight would just be too low to be effective. Another FX-7 would be too big for the anchor locker. Most of our anchoring is on a sandy or muddy bottom, but there are a small number of spots with a rocky bottom. If I could find an anchor that would be somewhat better for that it would be ideal.

Does anyone have a small anchor they like on a similar sized whaler? I'm trying to resist my tendency towards over doing it and put together something that will work in the extremely favorable circumstances I actually find myself anchoring in.

Jefecinco

Re: Small Second Anchor

Postby Jefecinco » Thu May 27, 2021 8:49 am

On our Dauntless 16 we opted for what is commonly called a "mud anchor" for a lunch hook. It was a small but heavy mushroom shaped anchor with three "sort of" flukes cut in the head. It was excellent in mud bottoms and good in sand. It held well with little scope in the shallows. It didn't do as well when the wind picked up unless it was tied off at the bow. It was encased in black vinyl to prevent rust and for easy cleaning. I tied the short rode directly to the anchor as a catenary was unnecessary.
Butch

NorthShoreWhaler

Postby NorthShoreWhaler » Thu May 27, 2021 9:12 am

Guardian makes the G5 2.5 pound which is the next size down from your fortress. I use it as the primary anchor on my 130. It’s easy to disassemble as well for storage if it’s not your primary. I also use a 2.2 pound Lewmar claw as a stern anchor. We stern anchor on beaches up here. That works really well and is small enough that both fit in my limited anchor locker space.

ConB

Postby ConB » Thu May 27, 2021 10:24 am

My number two anchor is a Danforth 5H with three feet of chain.

A Danforth 12H with three feet of chain is the number one anchor.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

endus

Postby endus » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:42 am

Thanks very much everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions.

In addition to your suggestions I looked at one of the small Lewmar claw anchors at West Marine this weekend. Pretty nice, but I think it will be too awkward to fit in the locker.

I think I am going to give the Guardian 2.5 pound anchor a shot since it's a known quantity and it's similar to the Danforths except in aluminum. I like the mud anchor idea a lot too...I may return to that if this one doesn't do what I need it to.

fno

Postby fno » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Some advice for a beach anchor that is intentionally small:

—Cut some material off the stock tips (the rods that stick out from the flukes to keep it level)

—Paint the ends with cold galvanize spray or better yet, do that and glue on a couple of rubber caps to keep them from banging up the boat.

—Add more chain than recommended ( adds to holding power, takes up little space).

—If on a sandy beach, keep the beach anchor in the water (soft dry sand is not nearly as strong as hydraulically actuated surf sand)

R DAVIS

Postby R DAVIS » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:44 pm

Look at a Mantus anchor. They are well made and hold really well.

I have their smallest 2.5-lbs galvanized model. It holds my Sport 15 even in strong wind and current.

They have a good selection.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-anchors/

djahncke

Postby djahncke » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:10 pm

I second the vote for a Mantus.

I used a larger Mantus on my trawler when I did the Great Loop, It never failed me in from the Mississippi to Chesapeake Bay. On my 17' Dauntless I use a 2.5 lbs model M1. It holds great and it easily disassembles when stored.

endus

Postby endus » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:52 am

I will look at the Mantus - I didn't see they had such a small model available!

Jadoca

Postby Jadoca » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:28 pm

Use a Chene anchor.