210 Dauntless Boat Lift for Shallow Water

A conversation among Whalers
ebmccarthy3

210 Dauntless Boat Lift for Shallow Water

Postby ebmccarthy3 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:25 pm

My dock is on a tidal water that has limited water depth at low tide at the end of the pier, about 2.5 to 3-feet.

Can a 210 Dauntless be supported properly in a sling and straps style lift?

If so, give me recommendations on the correct location for for the slings.

Also give me recommendations for shallow-water bunk-style lifts.

Also, provide ctures of boat lifts for shallow water if available; they will be helpful.

Thank you.

Jefecinco

Re: 210 Dauntless Boat Lift for Shallow Water

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am

I'm unaware of any differentiation of lifts used in shallow or deep water. As long as the lift raises the boat and lift completely above the water at the maximum tide depth expected it should serve your purposes. A friend who bought our 1999 Dauntless 16 installed a lift in a tidal area similar to yours. He choose a strap lift to reduce costs. The lift was not as useful as he had hoped. In tidal run conditions the slings tended to sail before the boat could be lifted. Adding weight to the slings was less effective than hoped. He had also installed the lift perpendicular to the normal currents and prevailing winds which made lining up to enter the lift difficult.

Based on his experience and that of several neighbors with lifts I recommend a bunk lift oriented parallel to tidal flow.
Butch

padrefigure

Re: 210 Dauntless Boat Lift for Shallow Water

Postby padrefigure » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:24 pm

In my experience, the lift cradles consist of 6" I-Beams perpendicular to the keel of the boat spanned by bunks that support each side of the keel. The bunks are about 10" wide, but the keel sits just above them so you will need about 8" of water depth in addition the draft at rest of the boat. Your 2.5 to 3 feet are cutting it pretty close, particularly in periods where the tidal difference is extreme.

If you are in a lagoon setting, you may be able to dig out the area under the lift to provide the proper clearance. The large sportsfishers basically do this with their prop wash as they back into the slip. If you are on a tidal creek, this may be problematic because of the silt constantly washing into the depression.

On the Georgia coast, tide range is often more than 6 feet. Our 18 Outrage was launched by lifting from the front and rear lifting eyes. I would not want to store it supported by these lifting points, however.

I guess I really don't have an easy answer for you. Straps are ok, but improperly located, can damage your boat. Plus they get pushed around by the current, making docking difficult. You can see pictures of cradle lifts at Proteusboatlifts.com. I dont know them at all, they simply came up in a google search. If it will help, I can photograph my boat lift cradle this weekend and share with you. Let me know.