Old Caulk

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Old Caulk

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 am

I recently needed a small amount of caulk for a home project. Being economically minded I decided to use some leftover Boat Life caulk from an old transducer installation. I decided to use the caulk as it had not hardened in the tube. After caulking the joint the caulk would not set (harden). I used a fair amount of acetone and ruined a couple of microfiber towels removing the caulk, probably at a cost of more than a tube of silicon sealant.

I'm unsure of how long Boat Life caulk lasts in the tube but I recommend a little test before using any serious amount of old caulk. In fairness the caulk was stored in our garage which gets extremely hot in Summer.

I did not see an expiration or best used by date on the tube.
Butch

ConB

Re: Old Caulk

Postby ConB » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:24 am

Butch, in my experience boat life caulk will take days to set up. But good stuff if you have time.
Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:42 am

Thanks, Con. In the future I'll only use it when time is not a problem. I've used it for years.
Butch

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:13 am

I also use Boat Life for many things around the house and on my cars. Yes, it does take time to cure. That stuff is moisture cured. Spraying a fine mist of water will accelerate the cure.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:09 am

Old - I used some to caulk a few inches of cracked grout in a shower thinking the shower would help it cure. I understand it cures slowly but I think the age of the caulk and storing it in a hot garage MAY have shortened it's life. The garage temperature yesterday around noon was 104 F. We hope to insulate the garage roof with spray on foam or the attic with blow-in fiberglass this year. We have been surprised our freezer has survived in the garage for over three years.
Butch

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:32 am

Hmmmm, I've never seen it NOT cure. It usually cures in the tube after a while. If you are in 'Bama I would assume it is very humid so it should have cured pretty quick. As much as I hate grouting it is the right way to repair old grout. Scratch out all the old stuff and re-grout.