Houseboat Sinking on Waterway

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Houseboat Sinking on Waterway

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:30 am

I noticed yesterday that a houseboat had sunk on the waterway at the edge of the dredged channel. The numerous tows along the area will need to be careful as only the top of the pilothouse of the houseboat is above water. The bow is tied to a tree on the North bank.

I will guess the boat was underway as that spot is very inconvenient for mooring alongside the bank. The boat was probably taking on water very fast for it not to have made it completely clear of the channel before hitting the bottom. A likely cause was a failed engine cooling water hose. If I had an inboard or sterndrive powered boat I wold install a high bilge water alarm as sinking can occur very quickly if a cooling water hose fails. A cause as simple as a failed hose clamp can sink a boat.
Butch

biggiefl

Re: Houseboat Sinking on Waterway

Postby biggiefl » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:46 am

If it was a coolant hose leaking that fast they high temp alarm would have sounded way before she took on that much water. Make sure your alarms work as well as a dash light if the bilge kicks on.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Jefecinco

Re: Houseboat Sinking on Waterway

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:28 am

Looked like an older houseboat. Doubt it had a high temp alarm. Probably only a gauge.
Butch