Converting a 15 Center Console to Super Sport

A conversation among Whalers
mcamuso

Converting a 15 Center Console to Super Sport

Postby mcamuso » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm

I’m in the market for a 15 project that I was going to make into a modified a Super Sport. I’ve however come across a Center Console version. I’m assuming I could still do this since I was planning on replacing all the wood anyways. Only difference I see in the hull is that there’s a tunnel from the console back like a Montauk. Anyone see any reason this shouldn’t be done?

jimh

Re: Converting a 15 Center Console to Super Sport

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:00 am

The CENTER CONSOLE 15 is a rare model and highly sought. Turning one into a SUPER SPORT seems like a bad idea. You ought to be able to find a hundred-times more SPORT 15 or STANDARD 15 boats to convert to a SUPER SPORT.

mcamuso

Postby mcamuso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:44 am

One would think but in my area, no. The few “regular” ones are either destroyed or way over priced.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:52 am

mcamuso wrote:One would think but in my area, no. The few “regular” ones are either destroyed or way over priced.

I was looking for a center console 15' before I repowered my 15' SuperSport this spring. As Jim mentioned the center console version is very desireable and I'm surprised you've found one at a reasonable price.

The boat market right now is completely insane and I think a bad time to jump in as everything is at the highest price it's ever been. When I see 30+ year old 13's asking $9K - $15K you have to decide if you need it now or wait 1 - 2 years when all these new boaters decide that boating isn't for them and there's a glut of used boats on the market.

D-

mcamuso

Postby mcamuso » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:40 pm

I agree. I am starting to like the idea of the center console. A little easier to fit my six-foot-five-inch frame, and the center console console is more conducive to two multi-function displays with a battery underneath--plus the rigging tunnel.