Proper Display of Navigation Lights

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Proper Display of Navigation Lights

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:21 am

Last night, July 4, 2021, I was sitting at the end of a dock about a half-mile south of a big fireworks display. Due to the time of year and the northern latitude, the sky does not get sufficiently dark for fireworks until 10:30 p.m.

Many boats came to watch the fireworks, presenting me with a sample of recreational power boats underway after sunset, and thus they should be showing proper navigation lights, that is, sidelights and masthead lights or combined sidelights and a white all-round light.

I did not record any numbers, but my impression was the majority—over half the boats seen—were not showing proper lights.

The most common deviation seen was boats underway showing only a white all-round light and no sidelights. Following as a close second was boats showing only a sidelight and no masthead or white all-round light.

A few notable deviants:

—a boat showing three white lights, with the height of the lights increasing from bow to stern, and no sidelights

—a boat showing two sidelights; at least the two were the same color

—boats whose sidelights projected too far aft, remaining visible long after the boat had passed by

—many boats with improper vertical separation between sidelights and white all-round; a minimum of one meter vertical separation is required

—a boat showing red, green, and white lights all-round with almost no vertical separation and separated horizontally by just inches

—sternlights coming from what appeared to a light bar lamp about 18-inches wide, illuminating the entire stern of the boat

Overall many recreational boats were seen significantly out of compliance with USCG required navigation lighting. Some of these boats were pontoon boats, which probably are seldom underway at night, or small runabouts, again probably seldom operated after sunset.

All in all, it was a rather disappointing display of required navigation lighting. The missing sidelight might be due to having the navigation light switch in wrong position. The missing white all-round lights might be due to failure to put up a pole lamp that is not permanently mounted.

I think—at least I hope—that every boat sold when new was equipped with proper navigation lighting.

To the perhaps 40-percent of the boaters whose boats appeared to be showing proper lighting, good for you. To rest of those boaters: check your navigation lighting.

ConB

Re: Proper Display of Navigation Lights

Postby ConB » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:31 pm

I was going to say sitting on the end of a dock is safer than being on a boat during fireworks. On further thought I know that’s not necessarily true.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

southshore fisherman

Postby southshore fisherman » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:13 pm

I was in Marietta, Ohio, for a Sternwheeler rally. At night they had a fireworks display, and scores of boats were anchored in the Muskingum river to enjoy the show. I drove over a bridge to get a closer look at the boats because I couldn't believe what I saw. Almost everyone had their sidelights lit. It looked like a big red and green Christmas display. I contemplated how hard it would be to try to navigate through them if need be.

We know alcohol and boating don't mix but maybe fireworks and boating don't mix well either.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:44 pm

Regarding when navigation lights are to be shown, the regulations appear at

Title 33 → Chapter I → Subchapter E → Part 83 → Subpart C → §83.20
also known as

33 CFR 83.20
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?&mc=true&node=se33.1.83_120&rgn=div8

§83.20 Application (Rule 20).
(a) Rules in this subpart (Rules 20-31) (§§83.20 through 83.31) shall be complied with in all weathers.

(b) The Rules concerning lights (§§83.20 through 83.31) shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout.

(c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:22 am

The navigation lights to be shown depend on the vessel’s status. A power-driven vessel that is underway is to show sidelights and masthead lights or combined sidelights and a white all-round light.

From Rule 3 Definitions:

(i) A boat is underway when not at anchor, aground, or made fast to the shore.

A boat just drifting but capable of propulsion is thus underway.

drewread

Postby drewread » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Jim, an interesting discussion indeed.

My Outrage 22 [navigation lighting is] likely not correct

The current setup is:
--Switch position 1 - All-round lamp (on top of the aftermarket T-top) which would be for a boat at anchor.
--Switch position 2 - Red and Green sidelight lamps (installed at the Boston Whaler Factory) and the Stern Light (this is removable but otherwise a factory installation.)

What I believe I am missing is the forward masthead lamp while switch position 2 is active and this could be corrected in two ways:

--by installing a combination all-round and masthead lamp on the top of the T-tower that would be fully illuminated (all-round mode) in the ANCHOR setting and only the forward part would be illuminated in the UNDERWAY setting

--remove the sternlight lampand have the all around light active in both switch positions

Do I understand the requirements correctly?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:33 pm

DREWREAD--If the sidelight lamps are not combined at the bow, then the all-round lamp MUST be on vessel centerline, as I read the Rules. So if you comply with that in your second option, you would be good. Also you need one-meter vertical separation, but with a T-Top that should be easily met.

You first option is the method used by Boston Whaler on may boats. See the article about navigation lamp wiring for details. A special switch is needed to make this work properly:

Navigation Lamp Wiring
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... witch.html

The present wiring as you described does not seem to met the rules for UNDERWAY, as you have already deduced. The forward-facing masthead light is missing.

Note that you SHOULD NOT display an all-round white light and a sternlight at the same time. Another boat, viewing your boat from astern, would see two while lights in vertical alignment, and no sidelights. This presentation is an undefined situation and would cause confusion.