Boston Whaler Sighted At Gasoline Retailer

A conversation among Whalers
Tacky79

Boston Whaler Sighted At Gasoline Retailer

Postby Tacky79 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:02 pm

I've chatted with an OUTRAGE 21 Ribside owner before. His OUTRAGE 21 RIBSIDE is really special--it is immaculate. He tows the OUTRAGE 21 RIBSIDE with an old Cadillac. His OUTRAGE 21 RIBSIDE has twin 155-HP engines.

I'm guessing some of you know him. I forgot his name--Larry perhaps. I think he's known in the community.

One of his passengers is also a Whaler fanatic and owns five Whalers.

1.jpg
Fig. 1. An Outrage 21
1.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

2.jpg
Fig. 2. An Outrage 21 and an Everglades boat
2.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

I was out on Lake Michigan yesterday as he rode by. We decided to chase him down. I was barely gaining on him despite the 300-HP Yamaha on our Everglades boat. I did catch him and we paralleled each other for a few hundred yards near Sister Bay, Wisconsin.

He commented that the OUTRAGE 21 one of the first Dougherty-designed boats, and my Everglades boat is one of the last Dougherty-designed boats.
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

Jefecinco

Re: Boston Whaler Sighted At Gasoline Retailer

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:57 am

Nice boats. We admired one passing by on the ICW yesterday. It was the tender to a yacht and rigged for fishing.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:06 pm

I know that OUTRAGE 21 very well. Larry bought that boat from another forum participant on CONTINUOUSWAVE many years ago. As I recall the boat was in Massachusetts, and it was was in very excellent condition--all original and intact. Larry and his then girlfriend Susan worked very hard on the interior, adding a lot of addition wood trim. And of course, all gel coat surfaces were meticulously buffed, polished, micro-finished, and waxed.

If you find any Boston Whaler boat on a Continental trailer in Door County, Wisconsin, near Sister Bay being towed by an old Cadillac sedan, it is probably one of Larry's boats. I think he now has four or five boats, including a MONTAUK 17. He spends a lot of time in Sister Bay because he often visits a good friend of his up there that has a nice place nearby.

Is that Larry seen in Figure 1 and Figure 2 aboard the boat? I am surprised to see him wearing salmon-colored shorts.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Jefecinco wrote:Nice boats. We admired one passing by on the ICW yesterday. It was the tender to a yacht and rigged for fishing.
Was it an OUTRAGE 21 or an EVERGLADES?

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:20 pm

JimH: no - that wasn't Larry in the salmon-colored shorts. It was one of his passengers. They were all wearing Whaler shirts, by the way. My son in our SUV was wearing his Whaler hat, too! Sister Bay is a great place. While filling up, I had three people come by and compliment the Everglades.
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am

The yacht tender observed on the ICW was an Outrage 21. Sorry for omitting that information.
Butch