Brunswick Acquires RELION Battery Company

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Brunswick Acquires RELION Battery Company

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:57 am

As a corollary to Brunswick acquiring NAVICO, the boat electronics manufacturer, Brunswick announced on September 1, 2021 that it has acquired RELION, a prominent maker of Lithium Iron Phosphate Oxide (LiFePO4) batteries. Their press release did not mention the acquisition cost.

RELION is a relatively new company, begun in 2014, and has been selling batteries with Lithium-ion chemistry. Their headquarters are in South Carolina, and their engineering team is located in Seattle. They are a USA-based company, but I wonder where the actual batteries are manufactured. Their website seems to avoid that topic. On the batteries themselves there is often a label with an adaptation of an American flag motif that declares "Engineered in the USA." I think the inference to be made from that is some or most of the manufacturing is not done in the USA.

Modern lithium-ion batteries include an integral electronic module called a charge controller (or a battery management system). The module supervises the amount of current that can flow in or out of the battery, and can disconnect the battery if there are conditions present that would cause harm to the battery, such as excessive heating, too much discharge current, inappropriate charging voltage, or ambient temperature too low. Thus a lithium-ion battery is more than an old-fashioned lead-acid battery; it is a integration of the battery chemistry and a built-in electronic charge controller or battery managment system. The real value-added in RELION may be more in their electronic engineering than in just in the battery chemistry and construction, although I suspect that is also first-rate.

Brunswick apparently sees value in owning a battery company like RELION, probably in future products involving electric propulsion motors for boats. For the immediate, acquiring RELION will allow Brunswick to put its own battery brand onto the many new boats it sells. Brunswick will also acquire a lot of engineering talent and development experience in high-power battery management and manufacturing.

porthole

Re: Brunswick Acquires RELION Battery Company

Postby porthole » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:56 am

Brunswick purchasing Relion will hopefully boil down to better pricing for consumers.

Construction; when I researched LiFEPO4's for my RV I came to the conclusion that all the domestic LiFePO companies operated the same way. USA engineered and assembled from globally sourced components. All the individual cells are manufactured in china.

As to internal controls, I wouldn't call it a charge controller. Most of the better brands have an internal battery management system. Early versions simply limited high voltage input and low voltage discharge. Current BMS's offer additional protections.

This page from BattleBorn's FAQ is typical for a LiFEPO4's internal BMS.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/battery ... nt-system/
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF