Box anchor review

A conversation among Whalers
Tacky79

Box anchor review

Postby Tacky79 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:20 pm

I thought I'd pass along my experience using a box anchor with our 190 MONTAUK.

I have a Danforth-type galvanized anchor with three-feet of chain followed by anchor rode in the bow anchor locker, and we typically take two to four attempts to get it set at various lakes. The bottom is typically mud or rocky.

We purchased a box anchor last year to use as a stern anchor when conditions warrant. The purchase was from a water ski shop down the street, and somewhat of an impulse purchase. I normally research things, but I was in a hurry and just took the advice of the salesperson.

We finally got around to trying this anchor this past weekend. We were anchoring in a relatively shallow water, four feet depth, and in a bay that was weedy. After three attempts to get the Danforth-type anchor to set without success, we tried the box anchor. On the first try, the box anchor dug in and was set and firm. We anchored overnight using the box anchor at the stern and the bow anchor set on the sand and mud beach.

Our second use of the anchor was in the lee of a small island with a nice sand beach. The box anchor bit immediately and held us for three hours as we enjoyed the beach.

I'm curious if anyone else uses this type of anchor. I'm considering another one for use as my primary bow anchor.

(I have no ties to the company or other interest in this technology!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtyurP2HYPc
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

Phil T

Re: Box anchor review

Postby Phil T » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:51 pm

Aside: While I can't speak to the box anchor, I can say the poor results of the Danforth is most likely due to insufficient chain. The anchor will set more effectively with 4 to 6-feet of chain.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Box anchor review

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:51 pm

The Danforth anchor was developed originally for use on sandy bottoms. I believe the original use was intended as a kedge anchor to allow landing craft to haul themselves off the beach in World War II amphibious landings on sandy beaches, particularly in the Pacific atoll islands.

A Danforth may not work effectively on a weedy bottom unless it has a lot of weight. It may not penetrate the weed layer and get to the actual bottom if the anchor is relatively lightweight. Anchoring in weedy bottom land is often a problem for any anchor.

That the "box" anchor is useful in weedy bottom land may be due to the number of hooks on which it can snag weeds. I doubt it could penetrate any distance at all into a heavily weeded bottom and actually reach the sea bed.