Determining Water Intrusion in Transom

A conversation among Whalers
otter

Determining Water Intrusion in Transom

Postby otter » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 pm

Is there away to find out if the transom in a Boston Whaler boat has been compromised other than using a moisture meter?

BACKSTORY:
I recently purchased a 1998 Outrage 17 II, and am restoring it. On the transom there is a rubber strip that goes across this entire top from the rub rail on each side. The rubber strip has two screws securing it. One screw is was missing. I haven't yet tried to see if the hole for that screw is stripped but I'm assuming it is. I also noticed some chipping in the gel coat along this same area which I have since repaired as much as I can without removing the outboard engine.

jimh

Re: Determining Water Intrusion in Transom

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:05 am

Please read the FAQ Answer to your frequently asked question:

Q3: Is There Water in a Hull?
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3

Regarding integrity of the transom, a simple test is to use the gear case of the outboard engine as a lever. Assuming the hydraulic trim system is working properly so the engine trim resists change from mechanical input at the gear case, apply upward or downward force to the gear case with the engine trim set at a 45-degree angle to the transom. Observe the transom carefully for any movement.

Many prior discussions exist on the topic of transom integrity and repair. For a list follow this LINK for TRANSOM REPAIR. The link leads to several thousand prior articles on the website discussing transom repairs and water intrusion in the transom.

For use of a moisture meter to assess ingress of water into a Boston Whaler boat hull, read these prior discussions:

LINK for MOISTURE METER

Phil T

Re: Determining Water Intrusion in Transom

Postby Phil T » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:52 am

Moisture meters are not helpful for assessing water intrusion on a Boston Whaler.

One method of investigation is to remove the through hulls and the transom cover trim, engine bolt holes and stern eyes. Observe any residue marks. Inserting paper towels into the open drain holes.

If not "wet", seal all the openings from the items above with a marine sealant like Boat Life's Life Caulk and reinstall all the components. Do not use any product that has the word "adhesive" in the description.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003