1985 Outrage 18 Hull Weight to Determine Water Content

A conversation among Whalers
JamesA2021

1985 Outrage 18 Hull Weight to Determine Water Content

Postby JamesA2021 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Q1: is the weight of the center console and bench seat included in [the hull weight of a 1985 OUTRAGE 18 boat which somewhere unspecified is listed as 1, 250-lbs]?

Q2: Should I also remove the center console and bench before [weighing the hull]?

BACKSTORY: I am beginning the process of restoring a 1985 Outrage 18. I've read [somewhere unspecified] that the hull weight is about 1,250 lbs. I want to weigh the boat to get of water intrusion. I have emptied the fuel tank and removed the Yamaha 150 HP engine.

jimh

Re: 1985 Outrage 18 Hull Weight to Determine Water Content

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:01 pm

JamesA2021 wrote:Q1: is the weight of the center console and bench seat included in [the hull weight of a 1985 OUTRAGE 18 boat which somewhere unspecified is listed as 1, 250-lbs]?

In 1988 the catalogue listed the "standard model" OUTRAGE 18 hull weight as 1,250-lbs, and this weight also appears in the REFERENCE section of the CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM website at the SPECIFICATION page that list all Boston Whaler boats made until c.1995. See

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... tions.html

I don't know WHERE you read about the hull weight, but wherever you did read about it, if the weight was shown as 1.250-lbs, then that figure agrees with the catalogues and with my listing of specifications.

There is no "bench seat" listed as an option. The OUTRAGE 18 would either have the standard two swivel seats or the optional Reversible Pilot Seat. If you are intending the term "bench seat" to refer to the Reversible Pilot Seat, then perhaps the boat you have has the optional Reversible Pilot Seat. I suspect the weight of the Reversible Pilot Seat might differ from the standard twin swivel seat, but not by very much.

JamesA2021 wrote:Q2: Should I also remove the center console and bench before [weighing the hull]?

No, I do not think that would be appropriate.

Weighing the hull to determine water intrusion is not a particularly useful method unless the amount of water in the hull is extraordinarily high. There is probably a manufacturing variance in hull weight in hulls molded in c.1985 that would result in not every hull weighing exactly 1,250-lbs.

To learn what the "BOAT WEIGHT WITH STANDARD FEATURES" includes, the standard features are also described in the REFERENCE section article about this model. Please read:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/18Outrage/

JamesA2021

Re: 1985 Outrage 18 Hull Weight to Determine Water Content

Postby JamesA2021 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:19 pm

Thank you for the information. I do have the reversible pilot seat. I also read the actual weight can vary from boat to boat. Thanks again.