Boat for New Jersey Bays and Shore: 200 DAUNTLESS or 190 MONTAUK

A conversation among Whalers
allisbob

Boat for New Jersey Bays and Shore: 200 DAUNTLESS or 190 MONTAUK

Postby allisbob » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am

Hi. I'm buying a used boat, and I've narrowed my search down to [either a 200 DAUNTLESS or a 190 MONTAUK]. I live in south New Jersey, and I will be using the boat in the bays and near-shore area for family trips and fishing.

Q1: What is the main difference (other than the length) between the Dauntless 200 and the Montauk 190?

Q2: Which would you recommend?

Thanks,
Bob
Last edited by allisbob on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil T

Re: Boat for New Jersey Bays and Shore: 200 DAUNTLESS or 190 MONTAUK

Postby Phil T » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:16 am

The Dauntless is considered a near shore family orientated boat. Note the plethora of seating.

The Montauk 190 is a standard all-around center console.

While Whaler makes it tough, you really need to get onboard both.

As far as I know dealers do not do demo rides, which is disappointing as there is no way I will buy a $60,000 to $100,00 boat without doing a test drive before purchase.

I would also try to find some owners and ask them, see if they will give you a ride.

Given the terrible backlog in production and price increases, I would not wait 12 to 18 months for a new boat; look at a late-model pre-owned boats.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Re: Dauntless 200 vs Montauk 190

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:24 am

I believe dealers want to sell boats in unused condition. They would have to disclose to a buyer if the boat had been used as a demonstrator boat. I have bought two new Boston Whaler boats from dealers. In both cases when I arrived at the dealership with check in hand I was provided a test drive before handing over the check. At that point in the sale process the dealers felt confident that the sale would be consummated.
Butch

dtmackey

Re: Dauntless 200 vs Montauk 190

Postby dtmackey » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:06 pm

Jefecinco wrote:I believe dealers want to sell boats in unused condition. They would have to disclose to a buyer if the boat had been used as a demonstrator boat. I have bought two new Boston Whaler boats from dealers. In both cases when I arrived at the dealership with check in hand I was provided a test drive before handing over the check. At that point in the sale process the dealers felt confident that the sale would be consummated.

You can test drive a brand new cars on the dealer lot. They throw on a dealer plate and out you go. If you do not purchase, it's put back on the lot and still sold as a new car and any prior test drives are not disclosed, which is perfectly legal. That's why you see some brand new cars with miles on the odometer. Dealers also transfer cars from dealer to dealer and drive them between each dealer on the roadway adding miles.

The main difference is auto dealers have dealer plates for registration and insurance, I'm not [sure] all states offer boat dealers registrations like in the auto world. The other big difference is dealer have a large number of cars in inventory, where as this would not be the case with a boat dealer.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:47 pm

The 190 MONTAUK is a very nice center console boat that is suitable for near-shore use in the Atlantic Ocean on suitable days. The hull design is suitable for moderate seas. The fit-out of a MONTAUK is usually rather stark. Typically the cockpit could be washed down with a hose; there usually is not a lot of upholstered seating.

The 200 DAUNTLESS is also a center console, but the hull gunwales are at a lower height. I believe this was done in order to improve access to the boat from the water for people in the water trying to get aboard, such as water skiers or people swimming from the boat. The hull design is probably with a flatter bottom, suited for calmer water. There may be more upholstered seating.

If the boat will only be used by you, then your preferences will rule. But boating is often a family activity, and if the boat will often be used by the family, their preference should be given consideration.

Ease of care in a saltwater environment might also be a factor. A simpler cockpit without a lot of upholstery might be easier to keep up.

NorthShoreWhaler

Postby NorthShoreWhaler » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:46 am

My advice is either [a 200 DAUNTLESS or a 190 MONTAUK] would be fine for your use.

If buying a boat used, have everything ready to go and jump on a nice deal in the fall. In my experience prices tend to be lower in the fall in the northeast and there still isn’t much inventory. Find a nice clean late model boat and go for it.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:34 am

Boat dealers sometimes offer demonstration rides of new boats at major on-the-water boat shows. The Annapolis Power Boat Show is one such venue. This is usually limited to demonstration rides on boats not normally trailered.

If a person is considering a boat purchase it is often worthwhile to attend any nearby boat show whether on-the-water or not. Admission is often inexpensive and checking out all the boats that interest you can be very entertaining. Prices are often discounted at boat shows for boats and peripheral items such as towing insurance from BOAT/US and Sea Tow.
Butch