Toshgib aka Binky

A conversation among Whalers
Binkster Fan

The passing of my dad Richard Messineo ("Binky" "Binkster")

Postby Binkster Fan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm

I wanted to let those who remember my dad Richard Messineo ("Binky" or "Binkster") that my father passed away last Friday after being very ill for the past year. He was a frequent contributor on the forum although I am not sure he has posted here for the past five years. Yes, he had fun being sarcastic at times and got kicked off this forum more than once (which I think he thought was kind of fun). He was also very talented and a kind and loving father. The boats he restored are more than beautiful and I hope that his contributions here have helped some of you with your boats.

He shared his love of boats with me, and as his daughter, he always encouraged me to do anything I set my mind to. Especially those things that were considered "activities for boys". I will never sell the 13-foot Boston Whaler that he and I restored together in the early 2000's.

He also restored a beautiful c.1960 13-footer "Sweeet 13" that was sold around 2016. I believe the person who bought the boat was also from this forum.

Below is a link to the page about another of his boats, the 15-footer he completed in 2014. Sadly he never got to put in the water because that is when he started to have health problems.

Here is a link to his post about his 15-foot Boston Whaler:
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022776.html

Rest in Peace Dad. I love and miss you so much.

13 Whaler Console.jpg
Fig. 1. 13-footer restored to perfection
13 Whaler Console.jpg (218.5 KiB) Viewed 4341 times

Dad with Outboard.jpg
Fig. 2. Richard with an older outboard engine.
Dad with Outboard.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 4341 times

jimh

Re: The passing of my dad Richard Messineo ("Binky" "Binkster")

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Thanks for the sad notice of your father's passing. He was a very well-known participant on the original forum and also briefly on the new forum (which was started about five years ago).

He had a sharp wit about him, and was clearly an excellent craftsman.

I have no recollection of him being "kicked off" the forum, at least not by me, the forum administrator. I think he occasionally had some difficulties with his user credentials.

Since the website and forum have been around now for more 20-years, we have sadly experienced the passing of several prolific contributors. Your father has now joined that club of Boston Whaler enthusiasts who helped create the online community we enjoyed all those years.

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:10 am

Condolences on the loss of your father,”Binky”.
I remember him quite well and enjoyed this forum for over 20 years due to his many contributions. You can still access the older forum thanks to JimH and I hope you can search and see his many posts to remember his love of classic Whalers.

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:48 pm

My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your Dad, my Dad also helped me get a start with Whalers in 1985, although more from a financial point of view. I took care of all the rest. He loved boating and Whalers!

Peace,

Fred

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:55 pm

Sorry to hear. We all appreciated his enthusiasm for Whalers, and his contributions. Thank you for the note.

outrage191975

Binky Passing

Postby outrage191975 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:40 pm

On October 1, 2021 I heard with dismay of the passing of avid contributor and poster Binky. After a long illness Binky left his fame and fortunes behind him and--as I am sure--has taken over duties beyond our daily details here. I will remember him in good and entertaining thoughts. May BINKY be well remembered and now be at peace.