2004 150 Sport: Source for Cushions

A conversation among Whalers
impag10

2004 150 Sport: Source for Cushions

Postby impag10 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 pm

Is there an aftermarket company producing a full set of cushions for a 2004 150 SPORT [that will fit correctly]?

BACKSTORY
If my local canvas guy were to make bespoke cushions, their cost would be super expensive. I have owned other popular boats that for which aftermarket cushions that fit correctly were available.

NorthShoreWhaler

Re: 2004 150 Sport: Source for Cushions

Postby NorthShoreWhaler » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:39 am

Contact Specialty Marine.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am

For replacement upholstered seating, contact the recommended vendor given in the article

Original Equipment Manufacturers and Recommended Vendors
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:02 am

NorthShoreWhaler wrote:Contact Specialty Marine.

Be very careful with Specialty Marine as their products have been called into question numerous times by Whaler owners. I've read cases where their cusions did not use UV stable threads and they failed quickly. Also the grade of vinyl is not up to par with something that will be used in the sun and prematurely discolored.

Caveat Emptor with that supplier.

I avoided Specialty Marine after readhing all the feedback and had a shop in FL make seat cushions for my 15SS and couldn't be happer with them. They were priced lower and they accomodated by requested modifications due to my changes to the seating.

D-

frontier

Postby frontier » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 am

I've had excellent results with Specialty Marine Company products. Great quality, service and price. Been using them for years and years. Purchased many cushions, wood products, lights, even complete RPS seats and a few stern seats. We had one small problem with one item and their customer service took care of it immediately.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:48 pm

frontier wrote:I've had excellent results with Specialty Marine Company products. Great quality, service and price. Been using them for years and years. Purchased many cushions, wood products, lights, even complete RPS seats and a few stern seats. We had one small problem with one item and their customer service took care of it immediately.

Happy for you, but not everyone has had a positive experience with them. Message me through this site and I'll give a resource to look at based on their products with hundreds of complaints.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:20 pm

Again, check out the recommended vendors list. The vendors were selected because there have been no complaints about them.

frontier

Postby frontier » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:17 pm

I think a lot of us were spoiled by the great quality and service of Hall's Nautical Upholstery years ago - she was the best. The last cushion I bought from Anderson MFG and Upholstery years ago was good quality but arrived incomplete and I was not happy with the customer service after the sale.

drewread

Postby drewread » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:48 pm

frontier wrote:I think a lot of us were spoiled by the great quality and service of Hall's Nautical Upholstery years ago - she was the best. The last cushion I bought from Anderson MFG and Upholstery years ago was good quality but arrived incomplete and I was not happy with the customer service after the sale.

I bought my cushions to replace all of the cushions on my 15 Super Sport Limited from Anderson. One of them had a small flaw and they immediately replaced the cushion and did not require me to send back the defective one.

My experience with their customer facing staff was a bit slow, which I expect from a small company, but very effective. The quality was excellent and my small concern was solved to my satisfaction quickly.

21Brailler

Postby 21Brailler » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:08 pm

I used Art's AutoMarine in Brockton, Massachusetts, for the cushions on my 1999 Outrage. I saw their name as original equipment providers to Whaler on this site. I just earlier this week picked up the cushions
I did not go with an exact match for the original equipment. They did a great job on doing some contrasting piping to modernize the look of the interior. But I'm sure they can accommodate the purists who are going for the OEM look. They are very nice people and very accommodating. Ask for Harold or Fonzie.

I live close enough to drop off and pick up. No idea how they handle shipping if you cannot easily make the trip. But call and ask.

About the only thing I can't speak to is the durability of the work they did. It is mid-December here on Cape Cod, so these new cushions are in leaf bags in my basement until spring.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 am

Watch out for condensate in those leaf bags.
Butch

david s

Postby david s » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:28 pm

The only vendor we have used for replacement Boston Whalers cushions is Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery. Our experience includes:
  • all existing cushions for a 1984 Montauk 17 were replaced in 2016 including the Reversible Pilot Seat, both console rod holder cushions and the 94 quart cooler cushion. We still have the boat and there have been zero problems with the cushions.
  • both stern seat cushions for a 1995 Outrage 17 were replaced in 2021. Beyond the 'new' appearance, they are an exact match to the existing factory cushions. If there's a color difference between the new and existing cushions, I don't see it.
  • according the Anderson website, all materials are OEM.

Tena Anderson has been great to deal with on both occasions. A requested modification for the stern seats was handled without problem. Materials, workmanship and attention to detail have been consistently excellent. From a price-to-quality standpoint, we're very satisfied.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:58 pm

The two recommended vendors mentioned in this discussion, Art's Auto and Anderson, are the two vendors recommended in the OEM Vendors list article. See

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... upholstery