325 CONQUEST Dinghy Lift

A conversation among Whalers
mmuscat01

325 CONQUEST Dinghy Lift

Postby mmuscat01 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Where can an aftermarket dinghy lift that will fit on a 2020 325 CONQUEST be purchased?

Cutwater Boats has a really nice [dinghy lift]. I have not been able to find that same product to retrofit on a 2020 325 CONQUEST

jimh

Re: Dinghy Lift

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:33 pm

Please clarify what you mean by the phrase "dinghy lift".

Are you seeking a davit crane?

Are you seeking some sort of drive-on platform that lifts the dinghy out of the water?

jimh

Re: 325 CONQUEST Dingy Lift

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 pm

mmuscat01 wrote:Cutwater Boats has a really nice [dingy lift].

You should give readers a link to the product that you admire, and in this way readers will have some appreciation of what product you might find acceptable to your use.

NorthShoreWhaler

Re: 325 CONQUEST Dinghy Lift

Postby NorthShoreWhaler » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:53 am

I’ve seen the Cutwater lift. Looks like a nice setup but they also have a huge swim platform.

How often do you use the dinghy? I’d decide on use and then hard vs soft bottom. I’ve got a roll up in a bag that inflates quickly and stores in the cockpit when I need it. Hard bottom is going to be much more difficult because of weight.

You could also consider hardtop storage short term on a soft bottom.

If you’re just looking to get to a beach then consider an inflatable SUP or kayak.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:57 am

NorthShoreWhaler wrote:I’ve seen the Cutwater lift.
Maybe you can give a link so others can see what is being discussed in this thread.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:34 am

Thanks for the URL, but it points to a boat, not to a aftermarket product that could be used on a Boston Whaler.

andygere

Postby andygere » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:38 pm

I think the design used on Cutwater boats is innovative and could be adapted to the bigger Conquests. Here’s an article with more information on that particular lift. https://quimbyscruisingguide.com/new-dinghy-lift-for-outboard-powered-boats/
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am

I doubt there could be a generic design for a device such as the dinghy lift as seen on the particular CUTWATER boat as linked above. More likely, a similar product would have to be carefully designed for each particular boat due to the particulars such as:
  • the height and number of the outboard engines on the main boat
  • the engine mounting height on the transom of the engines on the main boat
  • the attachment points in the cockpit of the main boat for the hauling lines and the winch that will be used pull up the dingy
  • the attachment point for the frame mechanism to the transom of the main boat.
While the mechanism is novel, the inflatable dinghy ends up being stored inverted.

What do you do with all the gear in the dinghy, such as its engine, fuel tank, mooring lines, cushions, etc.? You have to remove all that gear, then re-install all that gear for the next use.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:44 am

NorthShoreWhaler wrote:I’ve got a roll up in a bag that inflates quickly and stores in the cockpit when I need it.
That seems like the more expedient solution.

Dexter

Postby Dexter » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:48 pm

I have 305 Conquest. I always carry dinghy. I have evolved a solution that works for 10 to 13-feet soft-bottom dinghies, and it would probably be good for a light-weight hard-bottom dinghy.

The outboard engine must be removed from the dinghy, but engines of 5 to 10-HP are doable. Two-stroke engines are best because they are lighter.

I am able to pull my dingy over the side by myself or with wife's help, and then stand it bow-up leaning against hardtop. Then the dingy is tied in place.

For three years I have been using this method with zero problems.

Also, I can discuss a clever engine I use.

I learned these methods so I could use my 325 Conquest to the fullest.

ASIDE: My Name is Dave, and I am 65-years-old. I can manhandle my 11-foot ZODIAC soft-bottom boat and 5 to 8-HP Mercury outboards with the method described above--it's my own solution.