Re-power or Sell and Buy New Boat: Half-baked Ideas

A conversation among Whalers
onokai

Re-power or Sell and Buy New Boat: Half-baked Ideas

Postby onokai » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:26 pm

Since 1992 I have owned a 1987 18-foot hull [of unspecified model]. Since about 2011 I have been thinking of re-powering the [18-foot unspecified hull].

The [18-foot hull of unspecified model] came with a 1987 Yamaha 150-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine. The 1987 Yamaha 150-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine weighs about 385-lbs. I have owned it for 30-years. It still works, but I'm getting tired of the cost of [unblended pure gasoline fuel], tired the smoke in the engine exhaust, and tired of the chore of adding oil.

The only new outboard engine that makes sense to me for re-powering is a Yamaha F115, which also weighs 385-lbs.

In my [unspecified location] there is no good service for Suzuki outboard engines.

I do not know the weight of a Honda BF130 engine.

I am a fan of Yamaha outboard engines. Yamaha is my "go-to" outboard engine. I own a 1998 23 OUTRAGE with a Yamaha F250 engine.

Q1: Other than a Yamaha F115, what engines are out there that do not weigh a ton?

I will settle for less engine horsepower and less get-up-and-go from the engine, and I feel I will save on the cost of fuel.

I will let go of the smoky oil machine.

My guess is the cost to re-power will be about $15,000.

Give me your other ideas on engines [for re-powering the unspecified 1987 18-foot boat].

Another idea: sell this working boat and upgrade to a newer, say later 1990's, 18-footer with a newer hull design.

I hate Mercury engines. Finding another motor on this hull may be hard.

I saw a few for around $20,000.

I need a newer trailer--for sure.

My present boat has a new trailer under it now

I love my classic so this other idea is half-baked.

jimh

Re: Re-power or Sell and Buy New Boat: Half-baked Ideas

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:55 am

Where are you located?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:05 am

For what model Boston Whaler boat are you asking advice?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:11 am

If you hate Mercury engines, if Suzuki engines are not well supported in your region, if you are not familiar with Honda engines, if Yamaha is your "go-to" engine brand, if the Yamaha F115 engine seems the most sensible choice, and if you are willing to accept the reduced acceleration and lower top boat speed that will occur when the engine power is reduced to 115-HP from 150-HP, then I think you have found the engine for your re-power: the Yamaha F115.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:46 am

onokai wrote:The 1987 Yamaha 150-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine weighs about 385-lbs. I have owned it for 30-years. It still works, but I'm getting tired of the cost of [unblended pure gasoline fuel], tired of the smoke in the engine exhaust, and tired of the chore of adding oil....My guess is the cost to re-power will be about $15,000.

Many instance of re-powering an older Boston Whaler boat are somewhat irrational. I think your situation is in this realm.

The possibility of recovering $15,000 by improved fuel economy from a new engine is very unlikely. Let's assume all future fuel will cost $5-per-gallon. To recover $15,000 in reduced fuel expense means that about 3,000-gallons LESS fuel must be purchased with the new engine than would have been purchased with the original engine.

The fuel economy improvement of the new engine compared to the old engine must be known. Let's just guess that the improvement will be about 1.5-GPH better with the new engine. To save 3,000-gallons of fuel, that means 2,000-hours of engine operation.

The average boater runs their outboard engine about 50-hours per year. This means that 40-years in the future you will finally recover the cost of the new $15,000 in saved fuel expense.

To make the cost more accurate, we must compare the possible return on investment of $15,000 over a 40-year span. At an annual return of 5-percent, a term of 40 years produces over $105,000. To save $105,000 in reduced fuel will take a 280 years of operating the boat 50-hours-per-year.

onokai wrote:...tired of the smoke in the engine exhaust...
As for the smoke in exhaust, this can be very easily eliminated by buying a better two-stroke oil. Modern two-stroke oils that are mostly synthetic burn without any smoke.

onokai wrote:...and tired of the chore of adding oil
You should ask yourself if the relief from tiresome chore of adding oil is worth $105,000.

Also, how tiresome are the chores of changing the crankcase oil, changing the oil filter, and disposing of the used oil going to be? Those tasks are, at the least, an annual occurrence for a four-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine. Also, don't forget to continually check the level of oil in the engine sump on a four-stroke-power-cycle engine, and to continually monitor the oil pressure level while the engine is running.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:46 pm

The OP lists his boat as an Outrage 18. See https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1022&p=6385#p6385

This is the WORST time to sell and/or buy and/or repower.

Little inventory of used boats
Prices are up more than 50% since Covid started.
Loose engines are on backorder for at least 5 months, if you are lucky.
Any engine in stock are being sold for 25% more.
Ordered engines are selling for inflated prices of 10-20%

A repower with a new 150hp with all rigging and prop (assuming you can get one) will be more north of $20k.

While a 115hp is an option, all the same factors apply. ~15-18K

Your best bet is to find a non-whaler boat that has a really good engine. Buy it, remove and install the engine and rigging and junk the boat.
Even this will be very hard as used boat inventory is thin.

This it is the WORST time to consider this.

Put the idea back in the oven and allow to fully bake.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

onokai

Postby onokai » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:29 pm

I'm in Nor Cal-the hull is a classic 18 outrage 1986
I just feel this old 2 stroke is going to die any year now.Maybe you missed I have owned this boat since 1992
I'm using the yamaha top of the line oil (bought it in. 55 gallon drum deacades ago(not cheap oil back then either)
I have a larger whaler and in about 5 years may sell this 18 classic so the outboard cost will be factored into this sale. I think 15-16b k will do the job and I could sell in 5 years as I'm getting older and two boats will be one to many in 5-7 years.

My other boat is a 23 outrage 1998 hull-it came with a yami 250 2 stroke -I repowered that in 07 with 250 yami 4 stroke-never looked back.
The 4 stroke was twice as fuel effencient then gas price doubled-oh well
I'll keep this boat until I cannot boat anymore-Its mainly for tuna fishing west coast

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:57 pm

Economically, your best option is the sell the 18 Outrage now. You already own your perfect long term boat so just accelerate the pare down process while the market is hot. Of course if economics is truly your driver, sell both boats and pay someone else to take you boating. But it seems like you enjoy tinkering with boats or at least enjoy the academic exercise of thinking about it. Give us some more perspective and we can help you rationalize anything you want.