Flanging Tool

A conversation among Whalers
WillVan

Flanging Tool

Postby WillVan » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:10 pm

In a now closed thread in MARKETPLACE
fno wrote:...I can duplicate the flanging tool for others. Cost will be to cover materials(unless I have some lying around) and shipping. Machine shops are a wonderful thing but not everyone has one or knows how to use one. I would be happy to make some at cost for our compadres in need.
Has this idea of producing the flanging dies gone anywhere? It's really the dies that are the key part, the rest is just some threaded rod, washers and nuts.

My son has a machine shop and can [produce the flanging dies]. I thought I'd ask here first.

ASIDE: Others reporting hidden leakage from these brass drain tubes as they get old makes me nervous, even though the ones on my 1985 Montauk look okay.
Brunswick, Maine
Whaler #6:
1985 Montauk
2005 Evinrude 90 ETec

jimh

Re: Flanging Tool

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 am

As far as I know there has been no progress on any sort of group project to produce flanging tools among participants of the forum at CONTINUOUSWAVE.

Tom Clark recently emailed me to inform me of a new design for a flanging tool that he has developed which significantly improves the ability to use the tool for flanging when the two ends of the drain hole do not have walls that are parallel. I don't know if Tom is going to bring his invention to market.

dtmackey

Re: Flanging Tool

Postby dtmackey » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:11 pm

jimh wrote:As far as I know there has been no progress on any sort of group project to produce flanging tools among participants of the forum at CONTINUOUSWAVE.

Tom Clark recently emailed me to inform me of a new design for a flanging tool that he has developed which significantly improves the ability to use the tool for flanging when the two ends of the drain hole do not have walls that are parallel. I don't know if Tom is going to bring his invention to market.

Tom's tool is interesting, but is far more expensive to manufacture than the common flanging tool that most everyone is familiar with. Tom's design is not the first I've see like that. Tom's uses a thrust bearing, while the similar design I've seen did not, but otherwise very similar. Tom's (and the similar one I saw years ago) comes in handy where the transom and inner hull are not parallel since it compensates for the different angles. For those that have access to air tools, an air hammer is a far better solution with a flange die on the end.

D-