Enough Winter

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Enough Winter

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:23 am

I'll be glad to see the last of Winter this year. The limited posts here reflect few people are using or maintaining their Boston Whalers now, me included.
Butch

jimh

Re: Enough Winter

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:13 pm

I just returned to Michigan after 10-days in Dunedin, Florida. The weather in Michigan right now is fairly mild--32-degrees-F--but after getting accustomed to 60 to 70-degrees in Florida, I am freezing. Predicted low temperature this weekend up here is 1-degree-F.

We did not see many recreational boats underway in the Tampa Bay area, even though the weather--to us--seemed delightful. The boats we did see were engaged in angling. I guess even 70-degrees is too cold for the beer and sand bar crowd.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:52 pm

I like Winter. No bugs, less noise, and I catch up on indoor projects. I am rebuilding my two gearcases but getting frustrated. Someone smarter than me once said you need to know when to walk away. So I did. I am also building a TV room with a surround sound system. There is always something interesting to do.

OldKenT

Postby OldKenT » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:52 pm

For those like oldslowandugly who like winter, you could try canoe racing in the icy waters of the St. Lawrence at Quebec City. I watched these brave folks practicing in mid-January a few years ago. Intrepid they are. This year's race has apparently been delayed for a few days, but a photo shows what they face:
https://www.quebec-cite.com/en/what-to- ... canoe-race
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 pm

This weekend I plan to visit one or two of the regional lakes to assess ramp facilities and water level in preparation for the inaugural shake down event once it gets a tad warmer. Thinking mid-March.

Have a few loose ends on the boat/trailer to finish before splashing.

ASIDE: Anyone know someone who knows (really knows) I-Command gauge configuration? I have the manual but would take input from an owner who has done the setup.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:23 am

ASIDE to PHIL
Phil T wrote:...who knows (really knows) I-command gauge configuration? I have the manual...
I have set-up I-Command gauges several times. The only tricky part is probably the fuel tank configuration for computing tank levels. There are several versions of "the manual." More at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/
and see the listing of various operating guides under the heading

Evinrude I-Command Literature

There are eight listed there.

Note: the fuel tank level calculations won't work if you don't have the EP-85 FUEL DATA MANAGER aka DATA STORAGE MODULE aka MEMORY MODULE.

macfam

Postby macfam » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:50 am

Winter has been pretty tough in New England. Next Wednesday starts the New England Boat Show. Are you ready for this: Boston Whaler is NOT exhibiting any boats or having a display booth.

Large area for Grady White. No Edgewater. No Pursuits. They are all probably so backed up in production.

Why take more orders that won’t show up for 2022?

Cdean801

Postby Cdean801 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:58 am

It’s in the 70s here in northern California. The bays are calm and the crabbing is decent. I would prefer to have more rain.

Feel free to reach out if you want to do some winter boating in California.

ConB

Postby ConB » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:51 am

Here in northern Michigan if the bay in front of my house does not freeze over in the next week, it probably won’t this winter. And if the wind keeps blowing it will not freeze over.

Sure makes for a long winter seeing ice until the end of March.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Jloutrage

Postby Jloutrage » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:52 am

Normal winter here in SW Florida. Fishing not as good now that the water is cooler. Used to ice fish every weekend in Michigan. While the weather is much better in Florida, I must admit that I miss ice fishing.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:18 am

ConB wrote:Here in northern Michigan if the bay in front of my house does not freeze over in the next week, it probably won’t this winter. And if the wind keeps blowing it will not freeze over.
CON--I keep planning to drive up for a look around up there, but the big snow storm forecasted three weeks ago stopped me once, and now the sub-zero temperatures are stopping me again. Maybe next week it won't be close to zero and it won't be snowing for six days in a row, and I can get up there.

I think it was the 2014 Winter when the entire Grand Traverse Bay froze over. It was rather strange to see about 12-miles of solid ice between our shore and the eastern side of the bay.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:51 am

I spent a winter in North Dakota near the Canadian Border in 1975. I was young and single and the small town near our base, Nekoma, which had a population of fewer than 1000 was quite different from anywhere I have visited.

The residents of ND were just about the nicest, friendliest, most welcoming people I encountered in a 35 year Army career. While there I experienced my only snowmobile rides ever. It was fun and scary and COLD. I wore a borrowed suit, boots, etc so the cold was almost tolerable. I also attended a barn wedding and reception which was truly memorable. I can't say I miss ND but I have fond memories of the people I met there.

That experience reminds me that not everyone living "up North" is slightly mentally challenged and life there can be enjoyed for it's own virtues. Otherwise I would read with wonder some of the posts in this thread.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:06 pm

I just got back from a wonderful ride around Mobile Bay. Lovely 75 degree weather. Looking forward to spring fishing.

Duckmanreno

Postby Duckmanreno » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:47 pm

We can use some real winter here in Nevada. After one huge storm in December, it’s been bone dry. Cold for awhile now just changed to unseasonably warm and dry. As a die hard fisherman and duck hunter, I watch the weather--not much of a winter here.
1974 Montuak
2021 Yamaha F70

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:04 am

Bama - The waterway was busy with fishing boats yesterday and there were several kayaks working the rip rap and structure. I saw one angler taking three large Sheepsheads in 30 minutes at our neighbors boat lift. He told me he was using live shrimp for bait. The kayak angles prefer the pedal powered yaks as they allow hands free movement while working the bait or trying to land a fish.

It's not so nice this morning. It was 43 F at 7:00 with a North wind at 13.
Butch

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:24 pm

I am looking out the window as it snows. Single digits tonight. Years ago we used to fish all Winter at the power plant outflows. We even snuck small boats in to get way back near the warm water discharges. I guess that annoyed the powers that be. Now they schedule maintenance and shut them down just as it is getting really cold so all the fish die.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:15 pm

I'd never give uo my winters and look forward to them. Allows me to snowmobile, ski and catch up on boat projects.

Also allows me to get boat stuff done. Pulled the genny in the tug since the cast iron watercooled elbow let go and the diesel inhested salt water mist. Luckly the head cleaned up nice and I lapped the valves, seats were in great shape. Exhaust valves required replacement. After that, the motor was sand blasted, etch primed, epoxy primed and then urethane topcoat, and no, I don't spray in the garage.

Ideally, I need an extra month of winter this year, but not sure the weather will cooperate.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:20 am

I awoke to a beautiful morning, clear blue sky, three inches of fresh powder snow--but it's 1-degree-F. That's the coldest day of the winter so far, and about the coldest day in the last several years.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 am

It was 34 F here in Gulf Shores as of 7:00 this morning. The average is 44 F for this time of year. December was kind to us but January and, so far, February have been much colder than usual. Forecast don't indicate that we will see much improvement for the second half of February. Hopefully we will be boating comfortably by Mid-March. Coastal Gulf water temperature is around 50 F now which provides a moderating influence on nearby air temperature. Prevailing wind are from the SE so that adds to the Gulf water moderation.
Butch

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:45 am

We’ve had an up and down winter here in Nova Scotia. This week is cold at 5F last night and tonight, forecast for Thursday and Friday is for low 50’s and 1.5 inches of rain over the 2 days. We haven’t had a lot snow but we have had a ton of rain.

Working on moving my batteries from the stern to the console to help trim with the heavy Honda outboard.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:53 am

Up and down winter in SE Pennsylvania this year. On Saturday afternoon it was 55 degrees then I woke up Sunday morning to 3 inches of snow on the ground. My son was ice fishing three weeks ago up at lake Oneida in NY. The ice there was a foot thick. No safe ice in SE PA presently.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:13 pm

Yesterday, 34 with flurries.

Today 57 and sun.

Uhhg.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:34 am

But, you could be in Maine.
Butch

jimp

Postby jimp » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:12 pm

Butch & Phil T.

Miss you guys. The Squall still drying in the garage. Over 120" of snow so far. Precipitation records broken for January-March. Wait! It's only Feb 28! Spring will be here and we can get the boats going again.

JimP
Juneau, Alaska

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 am

We just received our power bill. It's slightly over $200, the highest we have had since moving here almost four years ago. The forecast for the first week in March is for seven days with highs in the seventies. I'll be starting the Mercury to ensure there is no gunk in the injectors this week. We will be boating this month, for sure.

We will be using the A/C soon.
Butch

Alibertucci

Postby Alibertucci » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:05 am

Warming up here in Northern Virginia and can't wait to install the new SS Bimini top I finally received late last fall. Temps in the mid 50s and 60s forecast. Winter cover for my boat was removed yesterday and getting it ready for some time on the water. I was surprised to see the older cover survived the weight of ice and snow without any torn fabric. Had not even looked at the boat in outdoor lot storage for 4 months. It felt good to spend some time cleaning it and getting it ready for the summer.
Smooth Whalin
2000 Montauk 17
90 HP Mercury Two Stroke Saltwater