Blue Top Legend

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Blue Top Legend

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:04 am

There are many youTube presenters that offer recordings of boats transiting inlets on the Atlantic coast of Florida. There are a lot of nicely photographed motion pictures of various boats encountering big waves. Among these many sites, there is now a bit of a following for two young sisters who pilot a 13-foot Boston Whaler Super Sport Limited with a 50-HP Yamaha engine. The boat name is BLUE TOP LEGEND. There are many recordings of this boat and its young crew going out to sea from inlets in the Miami area.

Here is a example of the resilience and great hull design of the 13-footer:

BLUE TOP LEGEND PICKS THE WRONG WAVE AT BOCA INLET !!
HAULOVER INLET BOATS
WAVY BOATS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbDdbGgMwY

This recording is really worth a look. The 13-foot hull seems to be able to recovery from anything the inlet or the girls throw at it.

I have to say, these young girls are taking a lot of risks, and so far have not suffered any harm. In another recording, they comment that their father only allows them to use Boston Whaler boats because they are unsinkable.

They recently replaced the 13-footer with a 16 DAUNTLESS with a 115-HP engine, which can be seen in this recording:

BLUE TOP LEGEND NEW BOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfyJJdsM1I

Unfortunately, later in the above recording the young lady at the helm really crosses over into a completely unnecessary stunt; she pilots the boat while standing on the helm set. See

https://youtu.be/_AfyJJdsM1I?t=190

MarkCz

Re: Blue Top Legend

Postby MarkCz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:44 am

I often view the Haulover inlet videos and am shocked those girls have not been hurt yet. I can not see if they are wearing the kill switch lanyard from the videos.

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:20 pm

I have been following the Haulover channel since the beginning.

The girls no doubt took the video popularity of the many showcased inlet crossings by the "Red Top Legend" (RTL), an older gentleman with an 18 Dauntless, and the girls are capitalizing on it for their 15 minutes of fame.

The Red Top Legend had the skills and the demeanor to attack that inlet with a great riding hull.
Just one of many videos of the RTL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4wg6_L94Sg&t=3s

According the Haulover channel the RTL hit debris under the Haulover bridge and the boat was totaled by the insurance company.

No doubt the attire by the girls really helps with the popularity, and they quickly added the "Wavy Boats" flag (the main youtube channel name) to pretty much insure youtube time.

I don't recall the story behind the 13 to 18 foot hull change.

As an outsider I now see them as being very reckless, unsinkable or not and encouraged by the immense youtube following and the Haulover channel. I certainly hope they never cross the line and get hurt or hurt someone, but if it happens I'm sure the attorneys will have a field day.

There is also a new group of young girls, dressed for attention in a Whaler doing the same antics now. A recent video showcasing them looks like they might have gotten a bit of a wakeup call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F7VR8XQ2lg

Aside from the above, my 1983 15 CENTER CONSOLE was a fantastic boat that I would take out in just about anything. The most fun I had with it was usually on small craft days out on the ocean, only when it was warm enough though. That 15 was and still is my favorite boat out of 7; sorry I sold it.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:03 pm

porthole wrote:...No doubt the attire by the girls really helps with the popularity...
I have noticed that in these youTube inlet recordings you can see a lot of bottoms--boat bottoms or otherwise.

On Lake Michigan we don't have inlets with waves quite like those at Haulover Inlet or Boca Inlet. Generally the rivers that are creating the inlet don't have a huge volume of water flowing toward the lake, and the fetch of incoming wind waves can't be as long as across an ocean. But with some sustained winds from the right direction, there can be significantly larger waves right at the entrance. You can see an example in CETACEA Page 27:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage27.html

I guess I have been boating long enough to have learned that intentionally going out in really rough conditions to have "fun" is not a great idea. If there is any fun, it is "Type-2 Fun," that is, fun when it is over.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:48 pm

Been watching Blue Top Legend for a while, and the videos remind me of my teen years ripping around in one of several 13 and 15 Whalers over the years. We (me and friends) would go downriver and then follow all the big sport fisherman boats that were running at a good slip and throwing a massive wake. We'd follow them for miles jumping the wake and then onto the next one and next one.

One Whaler took such a thrashing that my friend landed and the casting in the midsection snapped where the top motor mounts connect and the motor almost ripped off the boat, the only that save it was the control and battery cables. He limped in and we ordered a new midsection and at 15 years old, I pulled the powerhead and replaced the midsection and back to jumping waves.

That was 40 years ago and things were different back then. Whalers for kids were the Schwinn bikes on the water. We have countless close calls almost flipping the Whaler and never gave it a second thought. Now, if my kids were out doing that, I wouldn't have been happy.

D-

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:30 pm

Typical outgoing tide in my Inlet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDGtozbbXUk
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:35 pm

The girls with the old boat--get real dicey around 40 seconds.
Last edited by porthole on Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:58 pm

dtmackey wrote:Whalers for kids were the Schwinn bikes on the water.
That is a very good analogy. My brother and I both had Schwinn bicycles, but we didn't have a Boston Whaler--darn it.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:01 am

Come on, guys. If you didn't have a Columbia you didn't have a bicycle. Mine had a front wheel shock absorbing spring.
Butch

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:23 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to see the girls wearing personal floatation devices on their last trip through the inlet. They were even wearing them correctly.

Tom Hemphill

Postby Tom Hemphill » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:58 pm

Jefecinco wrote:...If you didn't have a Columbia you didn't have a bicycle...

The crowd I ran with instead aspired to own English bicycles with Sturmey Archer (3-speed) gears.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:17 am

Your crowd was far more sophisticated than mine. My Mother tried to convince me that a Raleigh bicycle was the best available at the time, 1948 or 1949. I don't know if it was an English brand but it had skinny tires and looked "funny" to me.
Butch

TransFueler

Postby TransFueler » Mon May 02, 2022 9:26 pm

Schwinn Sting-Ray: coolest bike of all time. Everything else was nowhere man.

Back on actual subjec: the girls are remarkably well spoken. They say they understand the risks, and simply love to run the inlet for adventure. Their boat handling skills are as good as most other folks you see running much larger boats.

It's absolutely fantastic to see two teenage sisters having what the old farts consider "dangerous" fun. Way better than if they were sitting home simply being keyboard warriors like most folks. They love and respect their parents, their country, and those that keep this a free land.

Instead of being grumpy old guys, celebrate the fact that young people like them are still around. Our world has become so timid, so over cautious, so afraid. Major kudos to the Blue Top Whaler Legend girls!
1987 17 Super Sport Limited
2003 Johnson/Suzuki 90 Four Stroke EFI