Trailer For 1989 Outrage 18

A conversation among Whalers
BigMel

Trailer For 1989 Outrage 18

Postby BigMel » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:46 pm

Give me a recommended trailer for a 1989 Outrage 18 with a 150-HP engine and 63-gallon fuel tank. I want an aluminum trailer with bunks and no brakes, and 21 to 22-feet long.

My current trailer is 22-feet long.

I looked at a Venture VAB 2425, but its length is two-feet shorter [perhaps means 20-feet long.] I worry the ramp I frequent would require putting my tow vehicle's back wheels in saltwater.

jimh

Re: Trailer For 1989 Outrage 18

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:22 pm

Typically an OUTRAGE 18 can be towed on a single-axle trailer. Trailer brakes can be very useful, so your notion to not get a trailer with brakes is contrary to my experience.

In areas where there are many trailer boaters, often there is a locally made trailer brand.

In general, I like to deal with long-established national brand trailers that are in very wide distribution and have dealers all over the U.S.A.

Brands that come to mind in that category are E-Z-LOADER and SHORELAND'R.

Regarding preferring aluminum over galvanized steel, in my casual analysis it looks like aluminum trailers are generally longer than steel trailers for the same rated carrying capacity, and they usually use larger frame members.

An all-bunk trailer or a float-on trailer is a common configuration, but for classic Boston Whaler boats I think a combination of bunks for support of the aft half of the hull and keel rollers for support of the forward half of the hull makes a better arrangement.

In REFERENCE there is a five-part article on trailers for Boston Whaler boats, and I would encourage you to consult that article for more detailed recommendations. The index to the five parts is located at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/

Regarding having brakes on the trailer, you should check the regulations in your state to see what trailer weight is permitted to be towed without brakes. I have towed my boat on its trailer for perhaps 50,000-miles, and all but about 150-miles were with working brakes. The 150-miles without trailer brakes were terrifying.

BigMel

Postby BigMel » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:56 am

Thanks Jim - I value your experience and recommendations.

I live in Maryland and any [towed trailer that weighs] over [3,000-lbs] requires brakes. The estimate on my boat, engine, and fuel weight is 2,090 lbs. I was figuring brakes would not be needed, but I will reconsider.

Gotcha on the bunk and importance of keel rollers for Whalers.

Thanks for the article link - I've reviewed some of that before. But this is the first time looking at the "Launch Ramp Physics". I need to get a good grasp on that. My current trailer is 264-inches long and height of hull bottom is 21-inches. It's a roller trailer but [loading or unloading the boat] has been easy.

The bunk Venture VAB trailer I was looking at is 238-inches long and height of hull bottom is 23-inches.

The community ramp I frequent is free but rudimentary. That is actually the only ramp I have used in the three years owning this boat. I may try one of the paid ramps to see if their angle of descent would get my boat on and off with a shorter trailer.

From my local storage to the ramp is less than a mile. When the weather is good, I'm putting in most weekends for the five months June to October. That's a lot of dunking in saltwater for those trailer brakes. Winter storage is 100 miles back at my main residence. I would like to start trailering from Solomons, Maryland, up and over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge two or three times a year to explore new fishing areas. Those trips would be 100 to 150 miles each way. My current trailer would need quite an overhaul to make me comfortable for that, which is why I'm looking to just replace it.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:12 pm

I bought a Loadmaster trailer for my 2003 190 Nantucket. First class build and materials.
I highly recommend this trailer brand.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:39 am

Can the original poster please tell us what his tow vehicle is ? That may factor into this decision. You also have to add the weight of the trailer to the weight of the boat, motor, fuel on board, gear, etc so you may be closer to 3000 pounds.

BigMel

Postby BigMel » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Thanks Masbama - That is a nice trailer. What is the length? Do you have to back your tow vehicle into the water?

Thanks MarCz - My current truck is 13-years-old so I'm in the market for a new half-ton, which likely will be Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I am awaiting reasonable prices. I'll keep in mind the weight of the trailer and gear, but I think I am still good there.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 pm

When you are looking at an I-beam trailer, you will see they have very short tongues.

In two of three trailers I have owned I either replaced the tongue with a longer one or added a hinged additional section.

Trailers are, for the most part, regional.

Given you are in Maryland, consider LoadRite.

Dealer locater - https://www.loadrite.com/find-a-loadrite-dealer/#

Here are the specs/model - https://www.loadrite.com/spec-sheet-generation/?sheet_id=15987&sheet_model=LR-AB182800102T

Shop dealers hard for price and availability. Prices are high and inventory low. Think of new car shopping, pre-covid.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:04 pm

BigMel wrote:From my local storage to the ramp is less than a mile. When the weather is good, I'm putting in most weekends for the five months June to October.
For a short towing distance of less than a mile, I don't think lack of trailer brakes would be a big concern, assuming there isn't a very steep grade to descend on the way. The highway speed is probably going to be 30-MPH or less.

BigMel wrote:That's a lot of dunking in saltwater for those trailer brakes.
If most of your use of the boat and trailer will be in saltwater, and should you decide to get trailer brakes, you should get disc brakes. You should also consider upgrading to the best materials, all stainless steel, and best rotors and pads.

My boat trailers have all had drum brakes. My older PACIFIC brand trailer had a freshwater brake flush hose system. Any time I used the trailer in saltwater, I would flush the brakes as soon as possible after immersion in the saltwater with freshwater from a hose. I had no brake problems with that trailer.

Funny story: one time on the way home from the Pacific coast of British Columbia and Washington State, I stopped at a boat ramp on the Columbia River that was adjacent to the interstate highway bridge crossing the river. I backed in the boat and trailer, getting the brake drums immersed, and then I started and ran the engines for about 10-minutes until the thermostats opened, flushing out the engine, too. This was about midnight, so there was not much contention for the ramp, and there was not a problem to leave the truck, trailer, and boat sitting there for 15-minutes. At another time and place, that might be not so well received by other boaters.

A single-axle trailer with load ratings with some headroom for your boat, engine, and gear will probably need 15-inch tires. Larger tires generally raise the trailer higher off the road, and can result in having to back down the ramp farther to get the boat to slide off or on the trailer.

Single-axle trailers can turn--especially when backing up--much easier that tandem axle trailers. The longer the distance from the hitch ball to the axles, the more slowly the trailer will turn when backing. That can be an advantage in some instances, as backing up a very short trailer can be a frustrating experience.

BigMel

Postby BigMel » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:02 pm

Jim and Phil--I appreciate the information.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:42 pm

BigMel wrote:[To Masbama] What is the length of your trailer?
The [Loadmaster trailer for my 2003 190 Nantucket] is about 23-feet long, has 15-inch tires, and a 5,200-lbs maximum load rating.

LOADMASTER can work with you on the length of the trailer.