[1993] OUTRAGE 17 Maximum Power; Difference from MONTAUK

A conversation among Whalers
Silverstreak39

[1993] OUTRAGE 17 Maximum Power; Difference from MONTAUK

Postby Silverstreak39 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:29 am

[Moderator's note: I have essentially restarted this discussion because the original post contained an ERROR of 11 years in the model year of the boat which was the focus of the discussion and an very large error in the number of hours on the engine that was the topic of discussion.]

Q1: what is the difference between an OUTRAGE and a MONTAUK?

Q2: what is the maximum rated power for a [1993] OUTRAGE 17?

[Point to a source of] information about the OUTRAGE 17 boat.

Q3: will a [1993]OUTRAGE 17 make a good boat for angling?

BACKSTORY: This is my first post. I have owned many boats in my long life, but never a Boston Whaler. I've always admired them but just never owned one. That just might change soon. I may buy a [1993] Outrage 17. I had heard of MONTAUK but never heard of an OUTRAGE.

[The boat I am to to buy is] going to be used strictly for angling on the west coast and local lakes. [The 1993 OUTRAGE 17 has an Evinrude E-TEC] 90-HP engine with about[1,200]-hours. The seller says the boat cruises at about 22 to 24-MPH and 30-MPH is top speed. Based on those numbers this [1993 OUTRAGE 17] boat sounds as if it might be under-powered.

In the many boats I have owned, both inboards and outboards, I've never been unhappy with a boat that is overpowered, but I hate underpowered boats. I am usually angling with at least one and sometimes two others aboard. Forty percent of my angling is in the ocean; 60-percent is on a bay or lake.

jimh

Re: 1993 OUTRAGE 17 Maximum Power; Difference from MONTAUK

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:26 am

Silverstreak39 wrote:Q1: what is the difference between an OUTRAGE and a MONTAUK?
The OUTRAGE boats are moderate V-hull designs with internal fuel tanks, except for the early 19 and 21 OUTRAGE boats, which had a rounded bottom. The deadrise of the V-hull tends to increase in angle as the boat length increased.

The classic MONTAUK 17 is a rounded bottom hull with on-deck fuel tanks.

If you are new to Boston Whaler boats, you may want to read some background on them. I recommend you read articles about Boston Whaler boats in the REFERENCE section. See

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:28 am

Silverstreak39 wrote:Q2: what is the maximum rated power...?
The specifications listed in the REFERENCE section at

Dimension and Production Information
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... tions.html

will give you the Boston Whaler specifications for most boats made in the epoch c.1960 to c.1997.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:20 pm

I ran a 1987 Montauk 17 before my Outrage 17 boats. The Outrage 17 does everything better than a Montauk 17. Compared to a MONTAUK 17, an OUTRAGE 17 has more or better:
  • freeboard
  • ride
  • storage
  • fuel capacity, and
  • wind protection from taller console
[The OUTRAGE 17] is the ideal center console model.

[The OUTRAGE 17 boat] is a good model for angling, with built-in rod holders in the reversible pilot seat, in the area forward of the console, and in the gunwale caps. [The OUTRAGE 17] has an option livewell in front of the splashwell; it has a large flat bow area to cast.

The rated maximum power is 120-HP. With a 115-HP (four-stroke-power-cycle) engine at full-throttle the boat will accelerate to a boat speed of 44 to 46-MPH. The capacity of the below-deck fuel tank is 32-gallons.

Having owned two [OUTRAGE 17 boats] for over 15 years, I am fairly informed on the model. I welcome any questions you have.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Silverstreak39

Re: [1993] OUTRAGE 17 Maximum Power; Difference from MONTAUK

Postby Silverstreak39 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:29 pm

Q4: because a boat will NOT be stored in the water, does that mean I DO NOT have to re-paint the boat and I can just remove bad paint by sanding?

Q5: can helm dashboard panels be purchased?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:42 am

For advice on buying used classic Boston Whaler boats, please see my remarks in the REFERENCE section article

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:46 am

Silverstreak39 wrote:Q5: can helm dashboard panels be purchased?
For advice on recommended sources and vendors for OEM replacement parts, please see the article in REFERENCE at

Original Equipment Manufacturers and
Recommended Vendors

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html

Read the section under the heading "Helm Electrical Panels."

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 am

Silverstreak39 wrote:Q4: because a boat will NOT be stored in the water, does that mean I DO NOT have to re-paint the boat and I can just removed bad paint by sanding?
For advice about hull bottom painting with anti-fouling paint, see the owner's manual for the boat. General advice about all Boston Whaler boat bottom painting is given in the owner's manual for many models, which is available in the REFERENCE section. See

Owner's Manual 9-17 foot Hulls
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual9-17/

See the section in the MAINTENANCE area:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... nance.html

See the section about bottom paint:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... tml#bottom

If the boat will live on a trailer and only be in water for a day or two at a time, there really is no need for anti-fouling bottom paint. A two-part epoxy sealing paint is also not needed for such short immersions, as the hull will thoroughly dry out on the trailer.

My Boston Whaler boat has no hull sealing paint and no anti-fouling bottom paint, and I often have it in the clean, cold, fresh water of the Great Lakes for a week at a time; there is no sign of any harm to the hull from that usage.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:09 am

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 am

Silverstreak39 wrote:... the boat cruises at about 22 to 24-MPH and 30-MPH is top speed. Based on those numbers this [1993 OUTRAGE 17] boat sounds as if it might be under-powered.

A top speed of 30-MPH for an OUTRAGE 17 is a bit slower than expected.

The E-TEC 90-HP engine is probably delivering somewhere between 85 to 88-HP at the propeller shaft. However, the engine should deliver good power over a wide RPM range, as it is a direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle design. That engine has been extremely popular in re-powering Boston Whaler boats due its relatively modest weight compared to 90-HP engines using four-stroke-power-cycle designs, which, at the time the E-TEC 90 was introduced in c.2003 were much larger and heavier, and often lacked midrange power.

If you want more reserve power and greater top speed in an OUTRAGE 17, a 115-HP engine would be a better choice, but that change will cost a small fortune today--if you can even find a 115-HP outboard available for delivery without a long wait.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:14 am

Yes, instrument panels can be replaced by ones made DIY or purchased from various vendors. I made a set for my boat last year from black starboard using basic hand tools.

If trailered, no bottom paint is required. I have started to remove the paint on my 1992 model. It is trailered.

I would not take the owner's report too strongly. Rather I would do a sea trial before purchasing. This is a significant purchase, would you buy a car without getting in it and driving it around the block?

I would proffer the owner has the incorrect prop installed, the engine is mounted too low by the installer (typical), The boat is operated without appropriate engine trim at speed and the speed has been calculated with a device that is not accurate.

The E-TEC 90hp engine is a good choice for this hull and when setup and propped correctly, should reach 39-43 mph running light and solo.

Check your email.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003