2022 190 MONTAUK: SONAR Display Location

A conversation among Whalers
rdewers

2022 190 MONTAUK: SONAR Display Location

Postby rdewers » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:25 pm

I am trying to figure out the location for a SONAR display and the size of the display for use on a 2022 190 MONTAUK. I have been unable to find any pictures [how a SONAR display is located on a 2022 MONTAUK 190].

From looking inside the console, it appears there is a maximum of 8-inches height and about 14 to 15-inches width [for flush mounting a display so as] to avoid getting too close to the edges of the open fiberglass area.

My dealer mentioned that some owners will mount the [SONAR display mounting] bracket on the open area of the console and then just attach a larger screen display that is not flush-mounted into the console.

jimh

Re: 2022 190 MONTAUK: SONAR Display Location

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:31 am

Resolution of your dilemma comes down to the size of the SONAR display you need.

If you prefer that the SONAR display must be flush mounted, then the display size will be limited by that criterion.

If you prefer the SONAR display to be larger than can be flush mounted, then the display can be any size you like.

For me, flush mounting of a large display is not mandatory. I use a bracket mounting.

Also, with regard to SONAR devices, they tend to change sizes with every new model, and the notion that a replacement would fit an existing large cut out in the helm panel is unlikely.

Another concern--for me--is winter storage. I remove my multi-function display from the boat for off-season storage. The boat is stored in unheated indoor storage, and during the winter the ambient temperatures can get close to 0-degrees-F. I don't want the electronics and display to be subjected to that sort of environment. Also, having them off the boat in the winter allows me to work with them on the bench, where I can learn more about their operation than I can while underway on the boat.

unomas

Postby unomas » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:24 am

I also have a 2022 190 Montauk. I recently flush mounted a Humminbird 10-inch Solex just above steering wheel. Fit was perfect. No problems with install. I actually think there was room for the 12-inc Solex but my wallet ran out. Another $1000 for the 2-inch increase.

You will find a VERY packed rigging tube running from inside the console back to the transom area. Pulling the +/- 1.125" diameter transducer cable and connector thru that tube is impossible. I installed separate rigging tube. DON'T cut the transducer cable and plan to splice it back later.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:08 am

Are you speaking of a "sonar only" display or a multi-function display (MFD)? If you have not yet installed an MFD including a GPS Map I recommend you do so. Having a navigation display as well as a sonar display in one unit is very useful. Operating in an MFD "split Screen" mode allows you to see both your position in the water and your sonar at the same time.

On our previously owned 190 Montauk we installed a 9-inch Simrad MFD. This allowed us to integrate our Mercury outboard, SONAR, AIS, and GPS mapping functions in a single display. We were delighted with the result.

I flush mounted the display on the console face using the large area to the right of the steering wheel. That was a mistake as the display was not always easy to view when operating on plane. If I was starting over I would gimbal-bracket-mount the MFD atop the console. This would permit orienting the display more or less to port or starboard and also allow adjusting the vertical angle of view up or down to compensate for the sun's angle and seating down or using the leaning post option or standing. On another boat with limited console space I used gimbal-mounting and that was a far better method if functionality is the goal. Console flush mounted displays are pretty and thus, popular. Functionality is not as good.
Butch

unomas

Postby unomas » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:34 pm

Humminbird 10" Solix is a muti-function display. It has everything you've mentioned.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:08 am

Unomas - My post mentioning MFDs was to address the original poster's questions and to add a suggestion. Just about any [global navigation satellite sytem receiver, chart plotter and SONAR] of that size will be an "MFD". Humminbird is best known for its sonar systems. The post was not to denigrate Humminbird or your suggestion.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:10 am

Flush mounting of large display screens on the helm console gives a nice look. But helm panel space is usually limited on smaller boats, particularly center console boats like a MONTAUK. The "glass helm" concept works better on large motor yachts.

The problems with viewing the display screen have decreased with the use of better, more expensive displays that have a greater brightness (to permit easy viewing in sunlight) and have a much wider viewing angle (to permit them to be seen from an angle other than directly in front of the screen).

WIth recreational SONAR devices, there seems to be a constant evolution, with every model year bringing new features. The latest SONAR feature seem to be the ability to create personal hydrological chart by using the SONAR as a surveying tool. This was unimaginable just a few years ago. Of course, simple side scan SONAR is now very common, almost mandatory. That also used to a tool only for professionals. For reasons like that, I would be wary of flush mounting the SONAR device. You may want a better one in two years.

rdewers

Postby rdewers » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:50 am

I apologize for replying a couple of years late. Many thanks to all of you for your advice.

I ended up installing a Humminbird Solix 12. It fit very nicely, but it is about the biggest display that will fit. If I ever decide to upgrade I will likely have to cover the hole with a plate and surface mount a larger display.

2022-05-19 10.29.46.jpg
Fig.1.
2022-05-19 10.29.46.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 61 times

2022-05-19 11.52.53.jpg
Fig. 2.
2022-05-19 11.52.53.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 61 times