1987 Whaler 27 Three Fuel Tanks

A conversation among Whalers
Tikimat

1987 Whaler 27 Three Fuel Tanks

Postby Tikimat » Tue May 03, 2022 2:30 pm

On a 1987 WHALER 27 (that I just inherited) there are two [fuel filler inlets] on the aft port gunwale. On the aft starboard gunwale there is a single fuel filler inlet. The two aft-most fuel fill inlets are aligned in their fore-and-aft position on the gunwales. See illustrations Figure 1 and Figure 2 below.

IMG_2890.jpg
Fig. 1. Aft gunwales showing three fuel fillers,
IMG_2890.jpg (114.57 KiB) Viewed 2361 times

IMG_2891.jpg
Fig. 2. Port aft gunwale showing two fuel fills.
IMG_2891.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 2361 times

I have been told that the port forward fuel fill is for the Center or Main fuel tank. The port aft fuel fuel fill is for a Port Saddle Tank.

The fuel gauge for the Center or Main fuel tank and the fuel gauge for the Port Saddle Tank do not work.

Give me guidance [about which fuel filler inlet on Port is connect to which tank].

[Moderator's note: apparently readers are to infer that the fuel filler on starboard aft gunwale is for a Starboard Saddle Tank. Perhaps the OP can clarify that inference.]

jimh

Re: 1987 Whaler 27 Three Fuel Tanks

Postby jimh » Tue May 03, 2022 9:19 pm

The aft fuel filler on Port looks like the cap is loose.

Tikimat

Postby Tikimat » Wed May 04, 2022 9:43 am

To clarify, the starboard fuel filler is for the starboard saddle tank.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 05, 2022 10:27 am

Tikimat wrote:The fuel gauge for the Center or Main fuel tank and the fuel gauge for the Port Saddle Tank do not work.
The fuel tank level gauges should be repaired and restored to working condition. Knowing how much fuel is available is an essential element of safe boating.

Once you have the fuel tank level gauges working, you can easily deduce which fuel fill inlet on the Port gunwale is associated with which fuel tank by observing which tank level rises with added fuel.

Are the fuel tank level gauges using a mechanical indicator of fuel tank level directly or magnetically coupled to a mechanical tank float arm?

Or are the fuel tank level gauges using an electrically linked indicator coupled to a mechanism in each tank that gives a variable resistance that is proportional to tank level?

Not discussed so far is the fuel distribution system. If there are three fuel tanks I would expect there must be a fuel manifold with valves that controls fuel flow of each of the three tanks to each of the two engines in some undescribed manner. If those valves are not clearly labeled, then you will soon need to deduce which fuel tanks are associated with which valves. Having fuel tank level gauges will also be useful in that deduction.

In the meanwhile, your inference (and the advice others have already given you) that the two fuel filler inlets that are aligned in their fore-and-aft location on the two gunwales are probably for the saddle tanks sounds like a reasonable inference. I would not expect Boston Whaler to have done it any other way. This leaves the MAIN or CENTER tank to be the third filler, the one on Port that is more forward.

Most Boston Whaler boats I have seen tend to have the main fuel tank filler inlet on the Port side of the boat. The Port side gets its name because (traditionally) that was the side of the boat that was usually brought to the wharf or dock or pier.

ASIDE: the Boston Whaler 27-foot hull is a great boat. It's the big Daddy of the classic OUTRAGE hulls. A real battleship. The only drawback--and this is just for me--is that it would have THREE fuel tanks. That means it needs to be supplied with a lot of fuel. I am more of a cheapskate and the idea of getting three fuel tanks filled at a fuel dock scares me.

Tikimat

Postby Tikimat » Thu May 05, 2022 3:14 pm

Thank you Jimh, I am not sure what type of Fuel level indicator is installed. I have someone coming out to determine that, as well as to repair the gauges--which will certainly help.

The fuel distribution system is set up as follows.
  • Port engine has access to the Port Saddle and the Main Tank, via valve.
  • Starboard engine [has access to] Starboard Saddle and Main by another valve.

I have read that the original valves gave each engine access to all three tanks. That arrangment was apparently altered on this boat. Now there are nly have two tank choices per engine. That is fine with me.

Thanks for your confirmation regarding my inference concerning the aligned fuel filler inlets as well as the Main tank filler on the port side. All the pictures (with three Fuel fillers) I have looked at have had two fillers on the port and one on the starboard.

ASIDE: The WHALER 27 is a battleship for sure and runs great. The devils is the details. I want to make sure everything is in order before we head out offshore this summer. Three tanks probably sounded like a good idea at one point, but one big one may of been a better choice. At $5-per-gallon, a gallon makes you think a little more about how far you want to go.

Once I get the final answer I will post and let you know.

Thanks again.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 05, 2022 5:48 pm

Regarding fuel tank level gauges, I do not have any experience with the specific boat you have, a WHALER 27. The usual arrangement for c.1987 Boston Whaler boats was for a fuel tank to have a mechanical float arm that indicated tank level. This arm was coupled magnetically to a dial pointer gauge with an arc of movement of about 270-degrees of more. This provided a nice scale on which fuel tank level could easily be read in increments of 1/8th of a tank or finer.

The fuel tank level mechanism was typically located in the forward one-third of the fuel tank, on the center line of the tank. The magnetically coupled dial indicator was mounted on the tank itself, but there were springs in the mounting that allowed vertical movement of the dial face up and down above the tank.

In a very crafty design, Boston Whaler molded into the deck a circular area that would be immediately above the fuel tank level indicator. This area was cut out of the molded deck, and into the circular cut out a pry-out circular deck plate with a clear transparent removable insert was installed.

The dial indicator was lifted upward by the springs and pressed against the bottom of the clear deck plate. This created a beautiful but extraordinarily simple fuel tank level gauge that could be easily read just by glancing down from the helm position.

Of course, this arrangement could only be used on below deck fuel tanks mounted on the centerline, and would be unlikely to be used in a saddle tank.

Tikimat

Postby Tikimat » Fri May 06, 2022 3:55 pm

Thank you Jimh for your help and the great insight. We have a plan to get it all working and figured out. I have the Fuel Tank Gauges you reference in your prior post on my 1983 - 25 Whaler, and yes its very simple, just the way I like it.

conch

Postby conch » Sun May 08, 2022 10:56 am

Try listening at the tank vent on the hull side as you add some fuel or some air from a compressor to isolate the fill opening.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 13, 2022 12:05 pm

conch wrote:Try listening at the tank vent on the hull side as you add some fuel or some air from a compressor to isolate the fill opening.
That is an interesting idea, but before you can identify the tank by its vent, you must know which vent corresponds to which tank.

Tikimat

Postby Tikimat » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:43 pm

For what its worth, through process of elimination after the Port Saddle tank ran out of fuel. We were able to determine the Forward fuel Fill (offset Fill) is for the Port Saddle tank. The aft Fuel fill is for the Main Tank.