210 Montauk

A conversation among Whalers
BamaBoater

210 Montauk

Postby BamaBoater » Sun May 08, 2022 8:41 am

I currently have a 2019 170 Montauk. In Fall 2022 I want to get a 210 MONTAUK, either a recently-made used boat or new boat.

The 210 MONTAUK will be used in the backwaters of Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, Alabama. On good days it will be used in the Gulf of Mexico. I will also use the 210 MONTAUK on Kentucky Lake, Tennessee Lake, and Lake Erie.

The 210 MONTAUK will be used for angling and boating for fun. My wife and I like to cruise. We have young grandsons who are starting to enjoy boating. We also like to entertain adult friends on the boat. We want a head on the boat.

Q1: Is a 210 MONTAUK okay for four and five adults for angling.

Q2: is a 210 MONTAUK okay for six adults to cruise to a sandbar?

Q3: are the front backrests a good option?

Q4: when a 210 MONTAUK is on a trailer, is the windshield height above ground less than seven feet?

Q5: when a 210 MONTAUK is on a trailer, is the Bimini Top height above ground less than seven feet?

Q6: when a 210 MONTAUK is on a trailer, is the T-Top height above ground less than seven feet?

Please give any advice you can offer on the 210 MONTAUK.

Thanks.

Jefecinco

Re: 210 Montauk

Postby Jefecinco » Sun May 08, 2022 12:00 pm

We owned a 190 Montauk with the fishing package including the bow rail delete option. I realize 2-feet in LOA makes a big difference but the similarities allow me to make some assumptions.

We used the 190 MONTAUK mostly for fishing the Mobile Bay Delta before moving to Gulf Shores. In Gulf Shores we fished Wolf Bay, the intracoastal waterway, and the Old River. We also used the 190 MONTAUK in South Mobile Bay and Fish River. The s relatively shallow draft made the 190 MONTAUK ideal for these areas. The 190 MONTAUK could be used for angling with four in comfort, and it could cruise six friendly folks.

I believe you will find the windshield height of a 210 MONTAUK on the trailer exceeds 8-feet ,but that will be influenced by the trailer design. The Boston Whaler web site provides a good dimensional drawing.

Get all the seating available and enjoy the 210 MONTAUK
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun May 08, 2022 1:06 pm

Measurements of all boats on and off the trailer is available in a downloadable PDF on Boston Whaler's website.

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/content/dam/boston-whaler/technical/resources/2022/Trailering-Dimensions-MY2022.pdf

If you plan to buy a new boat, note that all Boston Whaler production for the 2022 and most of 2023 calendar year is already pre-sold. You will need to find a dealer who will take your order in exchange for their allocation or buy one of their pre-configured boats.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 09, 2022 6:33 am

Because you have a recent model-year 190 MONTAUK, I am sure a Boston Whaler dealer would be pleased to take that boat as a trade-in on a new 210 MONTAUK or as a trade in for a 210 MONTAUK used boat in his inventory.

BamaBoater

Postby BamaBoater » Tue May 10, 2022 7:37 am

Thanks for the link to the chart. The 210 won’t fit thru my seven-foot-high garage door.

Q7. [what difference will occur if a 210 MONTAUK is powered by the optional] 200-HP compared to the standard 150-HP engine?

My 170 MONTAUK has the Mercury 115-HP engine, I like the power and speed [provided by the 115-HP engine]. I have not been in a 170 MONtAUK with the 90-HP engine.

My feeling [is the 200-HP engine on a 210 MONTAUK] is a must for me.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue May 10, 2022 9:56 am

Locate the Boston Whaler performance numbers with the different engine choices.

A 33-percent increase in power without much of a weight penalty will probably show improved performance.

How fast do you want to go?

Hoe much acceleration do you want?

If you plan to tow skiers and toys with a boatload of people the larger engine may be desirable. It not, the lower purchase price and operating expense of a smaller engine may be preferred.
Butch

Phil T

Re: Montauk 210

Postby Phil T » Tue May 10, 2022 10:56 am

[in regard to fitting a boat in a garage where the vertical draft is constrained], consider making rolling sleds.

Buy:
  • high-Ampere cordless drill with the appropriate socket for the wheel nuts
  • floor jack
  • jack stands
  • jack the trailer
  • remove the tires
  • insert the sled
  • lower the trailer
  • roll the boat into the garage.

I bet after a few times, you'll get the time to perform the above procedure down to 15 minutes.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 10, 2022 12:46 pm

BamaBoater wrote:Q7. [what difference will occur if a 210 MONTAUK is powered by the optional] 200-HP compared to the standard 150-HP engine?
The effect of an increase in propeller shaft horsepower on boat speed can easily be analyzed for a moderate speed planing hull boat.

In the instant case, an increase to 200-HP from 150-HP is a ratio of 200/150 = 1.33.

Assuming there is no increase in total boat weight, then the boat speed increase that will result will be in proportion to the increase in power to the 0.5-exponent. In this case 1.33^0.5 = 1.15. That means the boat speed using the 200-HP engine would increase by a ratio 1.15 from whatever the boat speed was with the 150-HP engine, again only on the assumption of no increase in weight. Any increase in weight reduces the increase in speed.

The difference in speed due the 200-HP engine can be estimated if we know a boat speed for the 150-HP engine. I don't have that data. If we assume the boat could reach 40-MPH with the 150-HP engine, the with the 200-HP engine the boat would likely be able to reach 46-MPH.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Re how to fit an 8-foot-high boat into a 7-foot-high garage:

From my experience, the more obstacles that present themselves to using a recreational boat, the less a recreational boat will be used.

The best arrangement is to live at the water's edge, have the boat at your dock, and be able to hop aboard and go boating.

Every little impediment to actually being able to start the key and go boating tends to reduce the use of the boat, and this increases particularly with age.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed May 11, 2022 10:09 am

There are very few ways to get a tall windshield or tall console under a garage opening that is too low. If the difference is slight moving the boat and trailer into the garage by hand may allow the tongue jack to lower the windshield a few inches as it approaches the opening. Lowering tire pressure may lower it another inch or so. A more drastic measure would be to remove the wheels from the trailer and rest the hubs on wheeled dollies. This should only be attempted if the keel and engine skeg will remain above floor level. Due to the inconvenience of removing and reinstalling the wheels every time the boat is used I would first investigate the construction of a purpose built boat shelter on your property.

Removal of the windshield to clear the opening is the most common solution I have heard of. A few owners have even cut a few inches from the top of the windshield and modified the steel frame around it to fold down or be temporarily removed.
Butch

Todd

Postby Todd » Wed May 11, 2022 2:26 pm

A few years ago I faced a similar problem, and I found
a solution that's worked well. [The undescribed solution involves cutting the frame that surrounds the windshield and installing two couplers with set screws to rejoin the railing--Moderator] The railing solution works great and is extremely sturdy.

To easily get the windshield on and off I use wing nuts.

To take off the railing and the windshield only takes five minutes. The savings in storage fees and access to the boat year round made it worth it.

On a new boat some engineering would be needed, but I think my solution would be workable.

--Todd

dockthedog

Postby dockthedog » Fri May 20, 2022 9:00 am

I own a 2018 210 Montauk.

BamaBoater wrote:Q1: Is a 210 MONTAUK okay for four and five adults for angling
I'm sure you can fish with five aboard. I've done angling with four aboard, and it wasn't bad.

BamaBoater wrote:Q2: is a 210 MONTAUK okay for six adults to cruise to a sandbar?
Absolutely yes. I've had seven adults on my 2018 210 MONTAUK while anchored and watching sailboat races. We were out for three hours and it was comfortable.

BamaBoater wrote:Q3: are the front backrests a good option?
The front backrests are a good option. My wife, son, and dog love sitting up there while I drive. When fishing, working regattas, or otherwise not entertaining I store the backrests and bow cushions in the house.

BamaBoater wrote:Q4: when a 210 MONTAUK is on a trailer, is the windshield height above ground less than seven feet?
Q5: when a 210 MONTAUK is on a trailer, is the Bimini Top height above ground less than seven feet?
Q6: when a 210 MONTAUK is on a trailer, is the T-Top height above ground less than seven feet?
I have the Bimini top, but my Bimini top has been customized to be slightly lower than the stock Bimini top. For my boat the bridge clearance with Bimini top in the up position is seven-feet three-inches. There are probably 18-inches from the top console grab rail to the underside of the Bimini top. My guess is that the height on the trailer is over seven-feet tall,with the Bimini top up and near seven-feet-tall with the Bimini top down.

TripleOcho

Postby TripleOcho » Tue May 24, 2022 11:40 pm

I don't have a 210 MONTAUK, but I have a 2021 190 MONTAUK. I have wondered if I'm missing anything by not going for the 210 MONTAUK.

Q8: have you considered buying a 190 MONTAUK instead of the 210 MONTAUK?

Q9: are you set on buying a 210 MONTAUK?

BACK STORY
Initially I wanted to buy a 210 MONTAUK. When I called [a Boston Whaler dealer] to order one, [the dealer told me] to get the 190 MONTAUK for ease of trailering. {The dealer said] that essentially the 210 Montauk was 190 with a "$20,000 fancy bucket for a head". Since I was ordering the boat I didn't see this [advice to buy a different model] as a sales tactic.

I was also told [that by getting the 190 MONTAUK instead of the 210 MONTAUK] I would not be missing much seating.

I don't know what I'm missing, but I've been happy with the 190 MONTAUK. I have found the 190 MONTAUK is fine for five adults underway.

The 190 MONTAUK reminds me of the OUTRAGE 18 boat I had while growing up; for me that is a plus for the 190 MONTAUK.
1986 13' Whaler Sport/ 2021 190 Montauk

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 25, 2022 9:21 am

dockthedog wrote:For my boat the bridge clearance with Bimini top in the up position is seven-feet three-inches.
Q10: by the phrase "bridge clearance" do you mean the vertical draft when the boat is in the water or the height above the roadway when the boat is on the trailer?

dockthedog

Postby dockthedog » Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 am

jimh wrote:Q10: by the phrase "bridge clearance" do you mean the vertical draft when the boat is in the water or the height above the roadway when the boat is on the trailer?
I mean bridge clearance while on the water: the distance from waterline to top of the Bimini.

BamaBoater

Postby BamaBoater » Sun May 29, 2022 7:01 am

jimh wrote:The best arrangement is to live at the water's edge, have the boat at your dock, and be able to hop aboard and go boating.
I live near Dayton, Ohio, and living on the water's edge is not an option. The closest lakes with homes on the water are in central Ohio and were originally built as detention ponds to supply water to the Erie Canal, and a few private lakes. My wife and I have commitments and can't move.

BamaBoater

Postby BamaBoater » Sun May 29, 2022 7:16 am

TripleOcho wrote:Q8: have you considered buying a 190 MONTAUK instead of the 210 MONTAUK?
I have thought about the 190 MONTAUK. I figured a 190 MONTAUK wasn’t a large enough move up [from the current 170 MONTAUK boat] to be worth [the cost involved].

TripleOcho wrote:Q9: are you set on buying a 210 MONTAUK?
I like the extra size and space [of the 210 MONTAUK]. I also like the idea of the head for emergencies. My thought is a 210 MONTAUK has more room and space to entertain friends along with kids and grandkids for the day. It is not too large to trailer. When loaded up with people and gear it provides sufficient room.

I am trying to learn angling, and with two young grandsons, I know skiing and tubing will be here soon.

I am also interested in taking my boat on some of the rivers and lakes in Kentucky and Tennessee for day cruises. Also doing the same on the Great Lakes. On the Great Lakes a larger boat [like a 210 MONTAUK] would provide a larger window of opportunity with the waves and weather.

I would like to find a 210 MONTAUK owner, who for some fuel, a cooler of drinks, and sandwiches would invite me along for an afternoon boat ride.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun May 29, 2022 7:35 am

BamaBoater wrote:I live near Dayton, Ohio, and living on the water's edge is not an option.
I understand. I said the ideal situation for encouraging use of the boat was to live at the water's edge, have a dock, and have your boat there, ready to go.

In my comment above I was remarking on the suggestions to employ a complicated method of getting the new boat into the garage. Again, all the impediments to actually using the boat tend to reduce the use of the boat. On the other hand, if the boat is going to sit in the garage and only get used five or six times each season, then a complicated method to allow the boat to be stored in the garage may be workable. That may be your plan for use of the boat.

Generally, after running the boat on local lakes, you get bored with them eventually, and want to travel farther to larger water for more interesting boating.

We have been to Kentucky Lake and adjacent Lake Barkley for a week of boating. Those water are usually well protected and offer some nice boating.

If you come to the Great Lakes, I would skip Lake Erie and go farther north to Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, and Lake Michigan.