Bennett Trim Tab Customer Service

A conversation among Whalers
fno

Bennett Trim Tab Customer Service

Postby fno » Thu May 12, 2022 5:37 pm

HI all, I wanted to relate to others the value of customer service in our buying choices.

In c.2020 I purchased a set of Bennett BOLT electric trim tabs with the fancy indicator switches for my 210 Outrage. I did the install myself and all went well. The tabs worked great for about one and half years, until I noticed only the starboard tab would run up and down. The port tab would run up but not down.

The control box has relays to run the tabs; by swapping wires to the tabs and few other tests, I narrowed [the cause of the problem] to the control box.

I dragged my feet on contacting Bennett's service group and when I did they gave me a RMA form and instructed me to send the control box to them for evaluation and to decide if it was still under their two-warranty.

Bennett was purchased by Yamaha some time ago, and I was not that optimistic that they would honor the bad controller. Was I ever wrong.

Two weeks after I sent them the controller I got a box in the mail. It was a new control unit that was completely different from the old one. The original had a switch, a control box, and two actuators. The new controller has the switches with the control integrated, so the only hookup was to power and the actuators. The painful part was drilling a 2-1/2-inch diameter hole in my console where there was a 1-inch-diameter hole before, but the installation went well; I am back in business.

In the process of choosing which tabs to install on my boat I considered both Bennett and Lenco for their respective merits. I went electric because I wanted instant actuation instead of hydraulic lag. Bennett is somewhat new to electric actuators compared to Lenco, but Bennett tabs were a better fit for my boat.

Despite many negative comments about Lenco, In the end I decided that there were way too many good things said about Bennett and their trim tab systems to not give them a try.

I was looking at a $350 charge for a new controller if Bennet decided I was out of warranty--and I couldn't find the receipt. Instead I have an updated system for the cost of sending the control back to Bennett. I consider that excellent customer service and it would definitely influence both my buying decisions and advice to others in the future.

jimh

Re: Bennett Trim Tab Customer Service

Postby jimh » Thu May 12, 2022 6:09 pm

Thanks for the first-hand report on good customer service.

There is always a bit of anxiety when a smaller manufacturer with a good product is taken over by a bigger corporation. To know that Bennett honored the warranty and gave you a no-cost and updated replacement is a very good endorsement.

fno

Postby fno » Thu May 12, 2022 9:04 pm

Very true, Jimh. All too often these days the customer comes away wondering why they chose a supplier or vendor for parts and or service with little or no guidance on others experience. That's the main reason for this post.

Thanks for moving this to the GAM. Not really repair related anyway but more visible here.

Cheers, Frank.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 pm

Bennett trim tab customer service is an example of what other companies should be doing, and for as long as I've known Bennet has always been one of the best companies to deal with. There was a gentleman who went by the name Tabman that would participate in many of the boating forum looking for problems to solve. I was fortunate to have dealt with him on several occasions with a positive outcome to my problems. Unfortunately, Tabman passed away several years ago, which was a great loss to the boating community, but I'm happy to hear Bennett Customer Service was easy to work with and helped you out.

What really impressed me with Tabman is he was out looking for problems to solve on multiple boating forums. That is something I've never seen in the business world and really impressed me. After my dealings with Tabman, I won't consider a trim tab product unless it's made by Bennett.

D-

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat May 21, 2022 4:26 pm

To hear this good news about Bennett customer service is great. The fellow known as Tabman provided unprecedented customer service before Yamaha bought Bennett.