2014 170 Montauk: Folding Down Bimini Top For Highway Travel

A conversation among Whalers
tomolalla

2014 170 Montauk: Folding Down Bimini Top For Highway Travel

Postby tomolalla » Sat May 21, 2022 4:02 pm

I recently purchased a 2014 Montauk 170. I was unclear how to fold down the Bimini top for highway travel, so I searched the forum for tips.

I expecting that folding down the Bimini top for highway travel to be something simple. I thought surely engineers had devised a simple solution to prevent the Bimini frame from flopping around--but apparently not yet.

In a five-year-old thread, I found other comments about the problem of folding down a Bimini top for highway travel, albeit on a 190 MONTAUK.

Below are several illustrations of a method for folding down the Bimini Top which may be helpful for 170 MONTAUK owners. My method may save others time and avoid hull and frame rail damage. I developed this method by my own tinkering.

My method of folding down a Bimini top for highway travel on a 170 MONTAUK employs four two-feet-long cam straps and two 18-inch-long rubber bungee cords with hooks. [Cam straps are a type of hold-down strap that are only tightened by hand strength, and they can be released gradually.] The two-feet-long cam straps hold the poles of the Bimini top frame tightly together; the two 18-inch-long bungee cords with hooks provide a suspension [of the Bimini top frame from the bow railing]; this suspension keeps [the frame of the Bimini top] from rubbing and chattering on the gunwales.

straps1.jpg
Fig. 1. A view of the straps and bungie cords from overhead.
straps1.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

straps2.jpg
Fig. 2. A second view of straps seen from the side.
straps2.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

strap3.jpg
Fig. 3. Close-up of straps and bungie cords.
strap3.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

I hope publication of this method is helpful. If others have found a better way, please respond with details.

mfosterbedford

Re: 2014 170 Montauk: Folding Down Bimini Top For Highway Travel

Postby mfosterbedford » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:08 am

[The method of folding down the Bimini top on a 170 MONTAUK for highway travel that is illustrated above] looks like it would work very well.

I have a 2010 and a 2011 170 Montauk. I stow the Bimini top to the stern when not in use. This may not protect the cover from the wind quite as well as stowing to the bow. If highway towing at distances greater than 100 miles I normally also use a boat cover. The covers are holding up well.

fig4a.jpeg
Fig. 4. Bimini folded and stowed aft of the helm seat, viewed from above.
fig4a.jpeg (80.62 KiB) Viewed 1213 times

fig5a.jpeg
Fig. 5. Detail of Port side frame when folded.
fig5a.jpeg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 1213 times

fig6a.jpeg
Fig. 6. Detail of Starboard side frame when folded.
fig6a.jpeg (63.69 KiB) Viewed 1213 times

An advantage of stowing the Bimini top to the stern is that the bow seating cushion and anchor well are not obstructed.

A disadvantage of stowing to the rear is that you have to step over the bimini to get to the swim platform.

To move the Bimini out of the way when raising the engine, a small cord secures the mounting bracket [perhaps means the moveable hinges for the frame] to the forward end of the side railings.

Phil T

Re: 2014 170 Montauk: Folding Down Bimini Top For Highway Travel

Postby Phil T » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:43 am

I lay my newly installed NOS Carver bimini aft with the boot. No straps or any attachments.

At highway speeds I do not notice any movement. This may be due to the torsion-axle trailer, which allows the boat to ride as if on a cloud.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003