2001 26 Outrage: Drain Path for Forward Fish Well

A conversation among Whalers
mstell1

2001 26 Outrage: Drain Path for Forward Fish Well

Postby mstell1 » Wed May 25, 2022 10:01 am

Q1: where does the forward below-deck fish well on a 2001 26 OUTRAGE drain?

Q2: does the forward below-deck fish well on a 2001 26 OUTRAGE drain directly overboard?

Q3: does the forward below-deck fish well on a 2001 26 OUTRAGE drain to the bilge?

Q4: is there a valve in the plumbing in the forward below-deck fish well of a 2001 26 OUTRAGE that could prevent the well from draining?

BACKSTORY

On my 2001 26 OUTRAGE the forward below-deck fish well is holding water, and I can't figure out how to drain the water.

A representative of Boston Whaler told me in a telephone conversation there should be a pump [in the forward fish well of a 2001 26 OUTRAGE that would drain water from the fish well]

I know where all of the pumps are on the boat and their associated switches, and I haven't found [a switch that goes to a pump] that goes to this fish well.

jimh

Re: 2001 26 Outrage: Drain Path for Forward Fish Well

Postby jimh » Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm

mstell1 wrote:Q3: does the forward below-deck fish well on a 2001 26 OUTRAGE drain to the bilge?
Boston Whaler boats with Unibond hull construction do not have a bilge space between the outer hull and inner hull. That area is filled with foam.

Typically the inner hull forms a liner which in some areas will be the cockpit deck, and typically there are sump areas molded into the liner. The sump areas typically have through-hull drains in the bottom of the sump that drain through the foam-filled space between outer hull and inner-hull to the sea. Typically these drains can be closed by use of a drain plug; a seacock might be used, but they would be rare.

Any sump that does not have a through-hull drain to the sea would typically have a pump,located at the bottom of the sump or well, that can push water upward and into a drain channel to the sea or to a drain in the hull sides or transom so the water could fall into the sea.

A close visual inspection of the forward below-deck fish well on a 2001 126 OUTRAGE should reveal if there is a drain through the hull bottom to the sea or a pump. If there is neither a drain to the sea or a pump, then perhaps the well can fill until the water rises to near the deck level, and at that height there may be a drain channel to another sump which can drain to the sea or has a lift pump to expel the water. Or, perhaps there was a pump in the boat originally, and the pump was removed sometime in the past.

If a pump were in the fish well, there typically would need to be an electrical circuit wired to that location. If there is no sign of an electrical circuit, then there probably was never a pump in that well.

With a boat that has been in use for 21-years, the chances are high that something has been changed from the original configuration, particularly with regard to pumps or electrical wiring to them or the plumbing and hoses associated with them.