Boarding Ladders for 22-foot Hulls

A conversation among Whalers
LMKP

Boarding Ladders for 22-foot Hulls

Postby LMKP » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:14 am

Q1: are the boarding ladders on an 1996 OUTRAGE 22 and a 1996 GUARDIAN 22 the same ladder?

Q2: does a 1996 GUARDIAN 22 have a boarding ladder?

Q3: where can a photograph be found that shows a 1996 GUARDIAN 22 boarding ladder?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
The Italian whaler

jimh

Re: Boarding Ladders for 22-foot Hulls

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:41 am

The GUARDIAN boats were built to order. Whether or not a 1996 GUARDIAN 22 would have a boarding ladder and what type boarding ladder it would have depends on how the boat was ordered by the customer to be custom built to the customer's specifications.

The 1996 catalogue from Boston Whaler did not list an OUTRAGE 22 as being available. Without a listing of an OUTRAGE 22 in the 1996 catalogue, to know if there was a boarding ladder as a standard accessory is impossible.

Browsing catalogues from earlier years, I don't see any images showing a boarding ladder on a classic OUTRAGE 22 boat.

I have a 1990 REVENGE 22 Whaler Drive boat. There was no standard boarding ladder. I do not believe there was an option for a boarding ladder.

I use a boarding ladder that fits on the gunwales. The ladder is awkward to stow when not in use, but the ladder is very useful for climbing aboard the boat from the water. The ladder I use is an off-the-shelf ladder. The particular ladder I bought was sold by WEST Marine. The vertical tubes of the ladder have a U-bent at the top. The ends of the vertical tubes of the ladder have a small device that fits into receptacles bolted to the gunwale. This fixes the ladder in place, which gives the ladder more stability. See

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... cordNum=11

A key consideration in a boarding ladder is how deeply the bottom step of the ladder will be immersed in the water. For swimmers with less agility, having a deep lowest step on the ladder will be a great advantage in boarding the boat from the water. Buying a ladder with an extra step or two extra steps will make entry from the water easier, particularly if the swimmer is tired or is older or has less agility.

Another factor to consider is the comfort of the steps or rungs on the ladder. Typically a swimmer coming aboard from the water will have bare feet. Swimming ladders with small tubular rungs are very uncomfortable with bare feet. Having a flat surface or tread on the ladder rungs is an improvement.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:01 pm

The Guardian 22 was a boat made for the military or state or municipal law enforcement. All boats are unique.

Recreational Outrage 22 owners install swim platforms on either port or starboard side of the transom.

Many look like this:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51KdobRhBDL._AC_SY879_.jpg

For an Amazon page in Italian, see

https://www.amazon.it/MKJLSD-Platform-Telesscaletta-Impugnature-Telescoping/dp/B09YD157X6/

outrage22platform_.jpg
Fig. 1. An OUTRAGE 22 with transom-mounted swim ladder.
outrage22platform_.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

I hope this helps you.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:04 am

As shown in Figure 1, I would be careful with fixing a structural support in that area of the transom. There may not be any underlying reinforcements at that location to provide strength for fasteners. The installer seems to have attempted to spread the load over a larger area by fixing a metal plate and fastening it to the hull with multiple screw fasteners.

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:43 am

Jim is correct--in figure one, the mounting points for the hardware do not normally have backing behind the fiberglass skin. It is not a really big deal for the right angle brackets that mount the platform to the hull because the force they see is in sheer. But the diagonal brace attachment is in tension and needs a good deal of support to keep from pulling out of the fiberglass. There is no way to through bolt this fastening point so spreading the load may be the only option.