OUTRAGE 18 Aft Cockpit Starboard Sump Does Not Drain

A conversation among Whalers
troyrempel

OUTRAGE 18 Aft Cockpit Starboard Sump Does Not Drain

Postby troyrempel » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:41 pm

I just got an OUTRAGE 18, which has a sump on the aft starboard side of the cockpit with a pump and drain. When not in use while I am away, the OUTRAGE 18 is kept on a lift.

The float switch on the pump must have been stuck on; the battery was deeply discharged. To avoid this from happening again, I have pulled the drain plug from the cockpit sum. But the sump does not drain.

Q1: is the aft cockpit starboard sump on an OUTRAGE 18 boat supposed to drain?

Q2: where does the aft cockpit starboard sump on an OUTRAGE 18 boat drain to?

Q3: could the failure of the sump to drain via the unplugged drain be due to a clog?

Phil T

Re: OUTRAGE 18 Aft Cockpit Starboard Sump Does Not Drain

Postby Phil T » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:08 pm

The drain goes straight down.

There is a clamshell cover partially blocking the drain [to create a Venturi effect] on the outside of the hull. Make sure the cover is not crushed. Check to see there isn't a drain plug from the outside.

Insert a long narrow stick down the drain and clear out any debris.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

troyrempel

Re: sump drain on outrage 18

Postby troyrempel » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:53 pm

Thanks Phil. I'll give it a try

grizzly

Re: sump drain on outrage 18

Postby grizzly » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:50 pm

When the boat is on the lift, make sure the boat a slight bow-high attitude.

My Outage 18 on its lift this way drains rainwater out the sump with the plug out; no bilge pump is installed.

I also keep the center drain in the engine splash well unplugged when the boat is on the lift.

jimh

Re: OUTRAGE 18 Aft Cockpit Starboard Sump Does Not Drain

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:11 am

troyrempel wrote:Q1: is the aft cockpit starboard sump on an OUTRAGE 18 boat supposed to drain?
Yes.

troyrempel wrote:Q2: where does the aft cockpit starboard sump on an OUTRAGE 18 boat drain to?
To the sea via the hull bottom.

troyrempel wrote:Q3: could the failure of the sump to drain via the unplugged drain be due to a clog?
Yes. The drain path is straight down to the hull bottom. You should be able to look directly down the drain path and see if there is a clog in the drain. You may have to remove the mahogany wood cover over the drain to be able to see directly down the drain path.

The owner's manual gives advice about the hull drains on the OUTRAGE 18. If you do not a copy of the owner's manual, you can read the owner's manual on-line in an HTML version I have created. See

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... nual18-25/

The topic of hull drains is discussed at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... elfBailing