How "older" and "newer" Boston Whaler Boats are Made

A conversation among Whalers
kevin2

How "older" and "newer" Boston Whaler Boats are Made

Postby kevin2 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:19 pm

Q1: when did Boston Whaler boat stop using wood flooring?

Q2: do Boston Whaler boats that are "the newer versions" use a foam that does not absorb water?

Q3: do Boston Whaler boats use a closed-cell foam?

Q4: how are Boston Whaler boats made?

BACKSTORY: I was under the impression that Boston Whaler boats did NOT use wood in their flooring or tringers. I recently viewed a recorded presentation:

When your worst fears come to life | Restoring A Boston Whaler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAyHgAUbeOw

The above recorded presentation showed restoration of a a Boston Whaler boat. The boat owner thought that Boston Whaler boats did not use wood in the flooring system--until he discovered otherwise.

I have owned non-Boston Whaler center console boats. I was always led to believe the Boston Whaler boats were the best because they did not use wood for the flooring and stringers AND they were unsinkable

I do NOT want to buy a older Boston Whaler boat [on the basis that by doing so I will be] avoiding wood and stringer found in other brand boats AND then find out I might have a bigger problem with the wood and then foam that soaks up water as well.

jimh

Re: How "older" and "newer" Boston Whaler Boats are Made

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:58 pm

There really has not been any change in the method of construction of Boston Whaler boats over the years, other than generally better process controls, more precise control over the amount of foam infused, and perhaps stricter hull weight variation limits.

It is common for the deck area to have plywood embedded as reinforcement. This method has been used since 1959 and is extremely well known. Anyone who thinks that there is no imbedded plywood in a Boston Whaler boat is seriously mistaken and misinformed.

The only reason the interior foam becomes wet is from water ingress through unsealed openings and poor care given to the boat by allowing water to accumulate on the deck during non-use of the boat.

That one boat was found to have wet foam and a recording of this event was made and uploaded to youTube is not particularly influential on the general opinion of Boston Whaler boats. Boston Whaler has probably made several hundred thousand boats. That one was not well-cared for and suffered is not an indictment of the brand.

The first Boston Whaler Unibond hulls were made c.1960. Those hulls are now 62-years-old. Among the 62-year-old hulls still surviving, I would expect their condition ranges from bad to great, and this should not be surprising.

kevin2

Postby kevin2 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:30 pm

Thanks. That helps a bit.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:20 am

The foam in Whalers isn't unique to Whaler, it's the process in how the foam is injected that's unique.

Plenty of other boats out there with the same closed cell foam as Whaler that's absorbed water. Most boats the foam is injected (or dumped) into cavities in the hull, which over time, those areas come in contact with water and it absorbs the water.

One common area of failure on many different brands of boats is the tank cavity. The caulking around the tank cavity hatch degrades over time and then water enters the tank cavity and gets absorbed into the foam and corrodes the tank. I've done a few of those on center console boats.

Here is a perfect example. All the wet foam around the tank was removed and tank replaced due to corrosion. The other concern is there are 4 foam holes in the bottom of the tank cavity (look carefully). These hold then allow the water to migrate and absorb into the foam under the deck and removal of that is a large scale project.

I did that project 17 years ago and the boat is still in great shape with no more wet foam problems. I would have sold this boat, but my kids won't let me.

D-

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:19 pm

The person authoring the video is intelligence-challenged.

Boston Whaler never used open-cell foam.

A basic google search will show that drilling holes and humidifiers does not work.

There are no stringers in a Boston Whaler boat. Boston Whaler uses plywood embedded in the fiberglass as backing for anchoring hardware, interior components and the transom.

Boston Whaler continues to use plywood in the transom of all boats. It did move to from plywood to composite (plastic) backing material in the 90's for cost savings.

Methods to ensuring a candidate boat is not excessively heavy is to observe the hull at rest at the dock. Inspect all drain tubes and the hull, deck and cap for exposed holes and weigh the hull at a commercial scale.

See FAQ #3 https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003