2012 170 MONTAUK Review

A conversation among Whalers
upnorth

2012 170 MONTAUK Review

Postby upnorth » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:44 pm

I bought a [used] 2012 170 Montauk. Its engine only had 82 hours on it. [It was] like buying a new boat.

The [attraction of the 2012 170 MONTAUK is it is] a small boat, [it is] easy to manage, [it] gets on plane quickly, [and it is] easy on [gasoline consumption].

My 2012 170 MONTAUK has two portable gasoline fuel tanks. [These fuel tanks are] never allowed to reach empty.

[The not so attractive thing about a 2012 170 MONTAUK is] the limited storage area in the center [console].

On the boat I carry:
  • a sealed box with flares and water markers;
  • some basic tools;
  • a first aid kit.

A handheld [presumably VHF Marine Band] radio is kept by the helm controls.

In the [cooler] when not in use [as a cooler] I I keep a waterproof duffel with life-saving items including
  • a space blankets;
  • chemical light sticks;
  • and two extra life preservers with attached beacons.
If the [cooler] is in use [as a cooler] I put the [waterproof duffel] bag behind the bench by the gasoline fuel tanks.

On every trip with new riders, the new riders get a lecture on using the hand rails to move around the boat. If the weather is rough I have all crew stand next to the [console] under the Bimini. I have the [crew] move around as necessary for balance.

There is an anchor and anchor rode neatly coiled in the bow.

On the boat is a line, that if the line is dropped in the water the line won't be long enough to reach the propeller. This line is laid in the opening between the front cushion and front. This line will be handy if the boat is pulled in somewhere.

If I expect to stop somewhere for lunch I add two fenders to the boat. I leave the fenders tied to the railing and adjust the fenders as needed.

On the boat is a [boat hook] pole that expands out if I need to reach something or someone in the water. [There is] no bracket [for this pole]. [The pole] lays on the [deck] under [what was later clarified to be the two clips that hold retain the white all-round pole lamp when it is not deployed]. There is also a small paddle at that location.

Usually there are approved seat cushions for when they may be needed to be thrown.

[The 2012 170 MONTAUK boat is] a great boat overall.

[I] hope this [review of the 2012 170 MONTAUK boat] helps others think about this boat for them.

jimh

Re: 2012 170 MONTAUK Review

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:15 pm

UP NORTH--thanks for your review of your recently acquired 170 MONTAUK boat. The characteristics of the170 MONTAUK boat are well known to forum readers and visitors to the website, and your new remarks will augment the many existing comments about the boat.

There is a rather long article about the 170 MONTAUK in the REFERENCE section that I wrote when the boat was first revealed in 2002, now more than twenty years ago. The 170 MONTAUK was an immediate hit and it has been very favorably received almost universally by Boston Whaler enthusiasts as an excellent small boat.

The following articles go into considerable detail in describing the 170 MONTAUK boat and also present some first-hand observations from a very early buyer of the 170 MONTAUK boat.

2002 170 MONTAUK
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/170Montauk/

This REFERENCE article gives copious details of the boat and include six photographs of the boat as it was first exhibited at a boat show.

and

Cetacea Page 58
May 17, 2002
Revised October 2003 with Eleven New Photographs
Early Bird Gets The Montauk

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetac ... age58.html

Cetacea Page 58 includes 26 photographs of the 170 MONTAUK and its many features.

In all, the 32 photographs and the extensive text and tables of data give a very comprehensive look at the 170 MONTAUK.

Note that the 170 MONTAUK was replaced by an updated version in 2018 which is generally now referred to as the post-2018 170 MONTAUK II. There is a very long and detailed discussion about the new model in THE GAM forum.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 am

On our Sport 13 we keep the boat hook in the space between the gunwale and the side rails next to the helm. If the space in your 170 Montauk is sufficient you may find it more convenient to store your boat hook there. That would also serve to get it off the deck and out of the way of people moving around.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:28 am

Also regarding where the boat hook is stowed: what is "the night light bracket" and what is a "night light"?

mbartolo

Postby mbartolo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:11 pm

jimh. I believe upnorth is referring to the two clips on the starboard that are used to mount the removable pole lamp for the white all-round lamp.
St. Helen MI
2015 130 Super Sport
2006 Montauk 170

Alibertucci

Postby Alibertucci » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:29 pm

jimh wrote:...what is "the night light bracket" and what is a "night light"?
I refer to the pair of brackets that hold [the white all-round pole lamp when it is not deployed].
Smooth Whalin
2000 Montauk 17
90 HP Mercury Two Stroke Saltwater