New 280 DAUNTLESS

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

New 280 DAUNTLESS

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:59 am

Boston Whaler have another new 2022 boat, a 280 DAUNTLESS.

I tried to build-and-price a base model boat, but the website builder page asks for your location and an email address so a dealer can contact you with the price. I think the 280 DAUNTLESS boat is going to be another one of the new Boston Whaler boats where if you have to ask about the price you probably will not be able to afford the boat. Also, it looks like there are so many options on this model that every one built will be built to order for a specific customer's preferences.

The minimum power for the 280 DAUNTLESS is 350-HP, which just about guarantees all boats will be sold with twin engines. The only single-engine option from Mercury that hits 350-HP in the product listing is the in-line six-cylinder supercharged VERADO 350. That engine needs 91-Octane fuel to run. Getting 91-Octane fuel would be a big problem in my area, as most marinas are selling only 90-Octane. Also, who really wants a big single on a 28-foot boat that will weight about 7,400-lbs.

The maximum power for the 280 DAUNTLESS is 600-HP. Twin V8 300-HP VERADO engines would be the choice for that rigging. The V8 VERADO engines in XXL shaft will weigh well over 600-lbs. (Mercury only shows the weight for the shortest engine shaft.)

As an indicator of interest in any new Boston Whaler boat, a presentation on the 280 DAUNTLESS available on youTube for only 18-hours had already been viewed 11,500-times by the time I watched it.

The presentation is hosted by Boston Whaler president Kristopher Neff. From the cockpit of the 280 DAUNTLESS with the open dive door--now called a "swim patio"--as a stage, he presents two other presentations, while wearing a pair of casual slacks that seem just a bit too tight and too long and some strange footwear. (Where was the wardrobe department when the director called for a head-to-toe framing on the talent?)

The first presentation is the now ubiquitous string of quick cuts of interesting angles of people and boat that each lasts about one or two seconds, accompanied by music whose tempo slowly increases. The use of montage in industrial product promotions is just way overdone these days and has become a cliché. In this 90-second film there are more than 80 images, and in almost all of them the camera is moving, panning, dollying, or tilting. The pace of the scene changes matches the music tempo, with an occasional still title card image thrown in, but averages out to about 1.5-seconds per image. There is no narration, just music, continually changing scenes, and a few extreme close-up's of the faces of what are presumed to be boat designers. Very artsy-fartsy, but I'd rather see longer duration views of fewer but more interesting things than the furled brow of a designer seen by shooting through a clear board as he seems to be drawing the lines of the hull with a flourish.

After that bit of video artiste's work, we get some real information: a nice walkaround explanation and demonstration of the boats features by Mark Robinson, 280 DAUNTLESS program manager. He shows the boat features very clearly and with excellent narration for someone whose day job is not "presenter." When the camera peers into open hatches there is not enough light to clearly see what is being shown; a more open iris for better exposure was needed, but that is on the cameraman.

Also, somewhat ironically humorous, when the optional SeaKeeper stabilizer is mentioned, the boat appears to be rocking even though tied to a dock in a calm and protected area. Hmm, maybe the SeaKeeper stabilizer is a desirable option.

Boston Whaler traditionally uses their own employees in their presentations, instead of models with weird haircuts, extraordinarily thin bodies, and every one over six-feet tall. Using real people--and their dogs--as occupants and users of the boat in their presentations is nice. I think it projects a better image. You don't have to be among the glitterati to have this boat--but you do need a lot of disposable income.

There are many options, and I am sure with very little trouble the MSRP is going to start at $150,000 and just keep going higher with options. One youTube comment suggest the boat will cost $250,000.

Apparently the price will not be an obstacle to selling the 280 DAUNTLESS, as I am sure that Boston Whaler has carefully researched the market and anticipates plenty of buyers will show up.

Phil T

Re: New 280 DAUNTLESS

Postby Phil T » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:19 am

Heavily designed, very complicated and sophisticated features.

Lots of things to break or throw a code.

Another model designed for the Five-Percent-ers or people who boat on a monthly payment and have the yard do all the maintenance.

I would guesstimate, as optioned that boat is low $300,000-range
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

PhilD

Postby PhilD » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:24 am

I got to drive the 2022 280 DAUNTLESS hull #1 when I was looking for a Dauntless boat this summer. Because it was the demo boat, it had every available option including the Seakeeper and twin 300-HP engines. It might have been the one in that YouTube presentation, but I'm not sure.

Afterwards I spec'd out a 280 Dauntless with everything I would want, and being naive, it turned out to be about twice as expensive as I thought. I ended up going with a different Boston Whaler model but I did love the 280 Dauntless. The demo boat hit 60-MPH at WOT.

Boston Whaler, like most other companies, has removed the pricing for options on their site when you build a boat. Even if you sit down with a dealer and option one, the final sheet has all of the options but only the final build price. So you have to ask the dealer about the cost of each one if you're curious.

On the 280 DAUNTLESS for example, the port side hull door alone was around $12,000, and I think the Seakeeper was something like $50,000.

They told me how much that specific boat cost, and Phil T you're a little low. Okay, more than a little!

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:18 am

PHILD--thanks for the hint that a new 280 DAUNTLESS will retail around $400,000.

Egads, that is a lot of money (or a huge monthly payment) for what is essentially a day-use boat with a head.

On a corollary note, Brunswick just reported that at the Ft. Lauderdale International Boats Show (FLIBS) they set a new record for sales revenue sold at the show.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:55 am

I was fortunate to be able to attend Colony Marine's in-the-water boat show, via the water no less, at their Algonac, MI location this past September.

Conquest, Outrage, Vantage, Realm, Dauntless in many sizes.

Very impressive product lines and dealership.

If you have to ask how much one costs, you can't afford it.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

PhilD

Postby PhilD » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:02 pm

I was in the process of downsizing from a mid-30s boat anyway, but at 28 feet it didn't feel small at all.

I did like the sunpad seat just in front of the console, with the huge storage underneath.

But to your point Phil, I can't see anyone spending that kind of money on a Dauntless unless they have it to burn and truly only want a bay boat. I can only imagine how much more it would be for the same size Outrage.