13-footer Holes in Gunwales

A conversation among Whalers
Waffles

13-footer Holes in Gunwales

Postby Waffles » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:44 pm

Q1: what is the purpose of the holes in the gunwales of my Boston Whaler 13-footer as seen below?

Fig. 1. Holes on each gunwale about three feet from the bow of a 13-foot hull.

In July 2022 I bought my first boat, a Boston Whaler 13-footer. I’m trying to become more familiar with my boat. The gunwale holes don’t look like they were drilled by a previous owner. They look like they’re molded into the hull. I can’t see where they go.

Q2: should I cover up the holes in the gunwale so water doesn’t saturate the foam.
Boston Whaler 13 Standard

macfam

Re: 13-footer Holes in Gunwales

Postby macfam » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:46 pm

Those holes on either side are meant for oarlocks. You can sit on the anchor locker and row an older 13-footer with oars. I’ve done it several times—over 60 years ago.

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:48 pm

Good to know. I hope I never find myself needing to row very far.
Boston Whaler 13 Standard

Tom Hemphill

Postby Tom Hemphill » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:55 pm

Your photo shows holes in the gunwales where oar locks could be positioned, but I don't see any evidence of the bronze oar lock socket which I would expect to see. I don't know if the hole should be sealed against water intrusion.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:05 am

Tom Hemphill wrote:Your photo shows holes in the gunwales where oar locks could be positioned, but I don't see any evidence of the bronze oar lock socket...
I was thinking the same thought: I was anticipating that the oarlock hole would be filled with a metal oarlock socket. Below is a photograph of a restored 1971 13-footer that was originally shown in CETACEA Page 57. On the gunwales of this 13-footer you can clearly see that there were metal inserts for the oarlocks

Fig. 2. A restored 1971 13-footer which appears to have metal oarlock sockets inserted in the hull. The oarlock socket appears to be flush to the gunwale level, suggesting a relief must have been made into the original gunwale surface.

However, I cannot offer any really valid opinion if or when a metal oarlock socket was used. Dick Fisher was something of a pragmatist, so perhaps he figured you really did not need a metal socket.

If anyone is more familiar with the oarlocks on really early 13-footers, please comment.

ASIDE: I once had occasion to row a 13-footer back to the dock from a mile or two away. I was very happy the boat could easily be rowed, and there were oars aboard.