Finding Source of Water Ingress

A conversation among Whalers
Peter3

Finding Source of Water Ingress

Postby Peter3 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:56 am

[Inferred question]
Q1: how can the source of ingress of water to an older Boston Whaler boat hull be found?

BACKSTORY
After growing up on a fairly modern Montauk 17 I've made the questionable decision of buying a barn-find 1970 NAUSET 16 boat. The NAUSET 16 needs a lot of love. Fortunately I have a friend that can help repair the hull and re-paint everything. I plan on adding a new console and restoring the boat to its former glory.

The guys who found the 1970 NAUSET 16 in the barn took it out on the lake for around two hours. Now there is water dripping out of the hull. The boat hasn't seen water in 20-years--aside from that joy ride. Obviously this is a problem. I was going to to drill the hull at the very stern under a drain outlet to try to determine the extent of the water ingress.

I have to do a lot of glass work on the hull so the hole will not be a problem to fix. This should be a fun project.

jimh

Re: Finding Source of Water Ingress

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:52 pm

Locating the source of ingress of water to the Unibond hull of an older Boston Whaler boat will rely on a close visual inspection of all the running surfaces of the hull, looking for any indication of a fracture or crack or hole or opening in the hull gel coat and laminate which could permit water to be forced into the interior of the Unibond Hull.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:38 am

If the hull is out of the water a leak can often be located by putting water inside the hull and finding where it comes out. If the boat is on a trailer it may be a good idea to block up the trailer frame to prevent stress to the springs. Dye can be added to the water to make a visual search easier. If using dye ensure it will not be difficult to clean the boat after the test.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Instead of using a dye in water, which seems like it would be designed to leave a color residue on anything it touches, perhaps something like a tinted marine antifreeze. I don't think they would leave a color residue.

I had the same thought when I was chasing a mysterious source of water in the boat. I never got around to using the tinted liquid method because I finally figured out where it was coming from before I had the chance to try that approach.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:37 am

The use of tinted marine antifreeze is an excellent suggestion. Walmart, for example, sells RV antifreeze in gallon containers at affordable prices.
Butch