Classic 13-footer: Two-stroke or Four-stroke Engine

A conversation among Whalers
Naclty

Classic 13-footer: Two-stroke or Four-stroke Engine

Postby Naclty » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 pm

I'm hoping to pick up my first late 1960's or early 1970's 13-foot Boston Whaler boat in the near future. The 13-footer is a boat I drove all the time as a kid. I want to get one to to drive around the lake and sandbar hop in the harbor. I've got a couple that I'm going to look at over the next few days.

The first hull has a c.1990 Evinrude 40-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine.

The second hull has c.2000 Yamaha F30 with a Transdaptor.

Both engines have recently had a tune-up and are alleged to run okay.

If all other things are equal between the two boats, my decision on which to buy comes down to their engines: two-stroke-power-cycle or four-stroke-power-cycle. I am not really sure which way to go. Give me advice.

jimh

Re: Classic 13-footer: the Two Stroke v. Four Stroke Engine

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:09 am

I doubt the asking price will be the same. Generally a 20-year-old Yamaha four-stroke-power-cycle engine will have greater value than a 30-year-old Evinrude two-stroke-power-cycle engine.

There is something to be said for the relative simplicity of a two-stroke-power-cycle engine. They are generally easy to fix and can be kept running forever if the proper fuel and oil are used. Also the Evinrude engine weight is probably lighter than the Yamaha, which can be helpful on a small hull like the 13-footer.

I would not worry too much about differences in the rate of fuel consumption. The intended use of the 13-footer sounds like the engine won't be run for a particularly huge amount of hours every season.

Naclty

Re: Classic 13-footer: Two-stroke or Four-stroke Engine

Postby Naclty » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:34 am

Thanks Jim. Interesting enough both are asking about $4,300. The seller seems like they just don't use these boats and want them gone. Good points on the two-stroke, and I think that boat has a better trailer so that might be the way to go.

frontier

Postby frontier » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:27 am

Your choice would depend on how it's used also. The classic 40 Evinrude would have a lot more low end torque. Great for water sports like skiing or tubing. It is also one of the best quality outboards ever made. The Yamaha is very high quality also, but would be on the gutless side for low end torque. The boat is so light (about 300 pounds), either one would be a good overall choice. Do they both have power tilt? That can be a big concern and should be considered.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:41 am

I have a two-stroke-power-cycle engine on my boat. The boat is used up north. I love not having to change crankcase oil every Fall when I put away the boat for the Winter.

Naclty

Postby Naclty » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:25 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

[I have a] few other thoughts [and] considerations.

Q1: [Between a two-stroke-power-cycle engine and a four-stroke-power-cycle engine] other than at idle speed, is the engine noise going to be noticeably different?

My wife isn't confident driving a boat.

Q2: Am I correct in guessing there won’t be a difference between engines on teaching a new driver?

Q3: Am I correct in assuming the two-stroke-power-cycle engine would be easier to learn to maintain with my relatively little knowledge of engines?