Finding Pure Non-Ethanol Gasoline on the Highway in USA and Canada

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:29 am

Regarding buying fuel for an outboard engine at highway fuel stations
Depending on your location, you may find that at the typical highway retail fuel station all the gasoline being sold contains ethanol, and if the blender or distributor has been careful, the ethanol content should only be in a ratio of 1:9 with gasoline. Unfortunately that ratio is not particular guaranteed by some fuel stations. You might get more ethanol than expected.

For this reason many boaters prefer to use only pure gasoline fuels and avoid all ethanol-gasoline blended fuels.

Again, depending on where you are located, you may find that some retailers on the highway are offering pure gasoline fuels, but these are usually specialty vendors. Often their location is adjacent to a busy boat launching ramps, where boaters will be trailering their boats for launch.

In Michigan, for example, there are some highway retail fuel stations selling 100-percent pure gasoline. Of course, the price is higher than regular-grade ethanol-gasoline blended fuel, but the expectation is there will be a benefit to avoiding the ethanol.

In my own operation of my boat--which literally lives on its trailer--I only use pure gasoline. I either buy boat fuel at a highway station if the station is conveniently located for my boating trip, or at a marina fuel dock if fueling while the boat is on the water. (My boat has an internal fuel tank.) In Michigan the state legislature has enacted a regulation that requires all fuel distributors to provide pure-gasoline fuels to marina operators. It also seems to have caught on that highway fuels stations are selling pure gasoline, too, at selected locations.

Indiana Dave

Postby Indiana Dave » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:34 am

The hyperlink below will help locate retail fuel stations in the U.S.A. and Canada that offer ethanol-free gasoline.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
1975 Montauk
1975 85 Evinrude
Central Indiana

Alibertucci

Re: Finding Non-ethanol Gasoline on the Highway in USA and Canada

Postby Alibertucci » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:07 pm

Download the Pure Gas app for your Android or Apple phone. The app gives you stations and locations closet to farthest in miles. I use it all the time when traveling with my boat. The app works great.
Smooth Whalin
2000 Montauk 17
90 HP Mercury Two Stroke Saltwater

Jefecinco

Re: Finding Pure Non-Ethanol Gasoline on the Highway in USA and Canada

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:13 am

Small engine yard equipment and generators all benefit from using non-ethanol gasoline.

The warranty on our Echo trimmers and blowers all exempt carburetor repair claims if ethanol fuel was used.
Butch