Source to Buy Lead

A conversation among Whalers
Buoy

Source to Buy Lead

Postby Buoy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:56 pm

My [unidentified] boat lists to port while at rest so I'd like to add about 80-lbs of ballast on the starboard side of the [unidentified boat at some unidentified location].

Using iron weightlifting plates is an option.

Q1: should lead be used for the [trim correction weights]?.

Q2: what is the advantage to using lead rather than other materials?

Q3: what retailers sell lead?

jimh

Re: Source to Buy Lead

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:15 pm

Buoy wrote:Q3: what retailers sell lead?
Lead is usually sold in sheets or bars or ingots.

CONTINOUSWAVE.COM does not really try to provide sources for lead sellers. A much better method of inquiry to find lead bars for sale is to use a GOOGLE Search. Here is a link to a GOOGLE Search with the argument "lead bars for sale":

https://www.google.com/search?q=lead+bars+for+sale

That search provided a link to ACE HARDWARE that sells lead in 5-lbs bars for $20. That seems like a bit expensive, $4-per-pound. If you need 80-lbs that would be $320. ACE HARDWARE stores ought to be available almost everywhere.

Here is a much better source: 50-lbs for $120 from this vendor, about $2.40-per-pouind:

https://www.scalesplus.com/rice-lake-50-lb-cast-iron-weight-astm-class-6/

You might consider sand bags. I suspect they will be much cheaper. Again, a GOOGLE Search found this vendor:

https://www.sandbagstore.com/saddle-sandbags.html

ASIDE: I have seen trapezoidal cross-section lead bars used as counter weights in theatrical rigging. Lead weights should be readily available wherever there is live theatre. The lead bars are about two feet long and about four inches wide with slots molded into the ends retainer can hold them in place. I would guess they weigh about 25 to 50-lbs per bar. I have seen them set into holders in theatrical rigging to create counter weights for scenery that flies in and out on overhead wires from above the stage. If there is a major theatre in your area, contact the stage manager and ask where they get lead weights for scenery counter weights. There might be a local source.

[Expanded my remarks on December 12, 2023.]

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:29 am

There are two obvious advantages to using lead ballast. First, lead has more weight in less bulk than other common metals. Second, lead is non-ferrous so corrosion is not a problem. Perhaps some existing weight in your boat can be relocated to eliminate the list. That could accomplish your goal without adding weight. Eighty pounds is a lot of ballast.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:53 am

Buoy wrote:[My unidentified] boat lists [to] port while at rest so [I would] like to add about 80-lbs of ballast on the starboard side of the [unidentified boat].
To assist readers in giving you a cogent answer, you should identify the particular boat you are talking about. The total weight of the boat and the type of hull form will be an influence in how much trim weight must be added to correct the list. Also, knowing how much list exists is also useful.

Generally a Boston Whaler boat usually has a list to starboard because generally the cockpit sump is molded into the hull on the starboard side of the cockpit. Having a slight list to starboard in static trim causes rain water to run off the cockpit deck to starboard and to drain in to the sump. Depending on the type of hull, the sump may be able to be left open and allow water to drain to the sea before water accumulating in the sump overflows the sump and begins to flood the cockpit and rigging tunnels. For this to occur the hull must not be too heavy in the stern. A good indicator if the boat's trim is as the hull designer intended is given by the position of the engine splash well drains relative to the boat waterline. If the engine splash well drains are above the water line or just partially below the water line, then the boat is in a fore-and-aft trim that is appropriate for its hull design.

If this unidentified Boston Whaler boat happens to have only one cockpit sump and that sump is on the port side, then perhaps a list to port is intentional. But if the cockpit sump is on the starboard side, the list to port is going to be a problem. A list to port will tend to keep water from collecting in the starboard sump. And as soon a bit of water accumulates on port, the tendency for more water to flow to port increases.

Knowing the particular Boston Whaler model will also help readers know the hull shape. A deep V-hull with plenty of deadrise at the transom will have a tendency to come to rest at static trim with a lean to one side or the other, while a boat with a flatter bottom will tend to resist taking on a list.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:23 pm

Without listing the year and model of your boat, you should NOT add any ballast.

There are several causes that can contribute to a boat list. Each can be corrected without adding ballast.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:55 pm

Just move the battery to the high side of the list. Since you are moving from the low side to the high side, you will need to move only half the weight. Even less if you can move it further from the centerline.

Of course this is just a shot in the dark. 80 pounds of ballast in a 13 foot sport is a far different matter than 80 pounds in a 27 foot Offshore.

mcamuso

Postby mcamuso » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:19 pm

A plumbing warehouse should sell lead bars.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:26 am

mcamuso wrote:A plumbing warehouse should sell lead bars.
Please give a URL to a plumbing warehouse that sells lead bars to the public.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:31 am

I believe that lead is generally sold as an alloy with other materials. The type of alloy being sold probably affects the price. In the use of lead just for its weight, I don't see a particular need to get a special allow, although resistance to corrosion would be a good feature to have in the lead if its location were on the unspecified boat were liable to be in a wet area. Lead sold as a solder usually has tin content.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:04 am

Lead is no longer used much by plumbers due to the widespread use of PEX tubing and pipe and fittings. Refrigeration systems continue to use lead based "silver solder" to connect swage joints in refrigerant tubing.

If buying lead try buying locally as an online purchase would add high shipping charges, possibly exceeding the cost of the lead. If your requirement is not too large buying lead diving weights may be economical.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:18 pm

Lead diving weight: very good suggestion, but what is the cost per pound?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:42 am

For Prime members diving weight packages from Amazon are approximately four dollars a pound, delivered.
Butch

mcamuso

Postby mcamuso » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:31 am

jimh wrote:
mcamuso wrote:A plumbing warehouse should sell lead bars.
Please give a URL to a plumbing warehouse that sells lead bars to the public.

Where does the poster live?

RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:55 am

I've added ballast to the bow of my 23 WA WD in the form of wake board boat bags. They are waterproof 50 lb bags of iron shot. Expensive but have been a good solution.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:37 am

mcamuso wrote:Where does the poster live?
The location of the originator of this thread is unknown, as is the boat on which he wants to install the lead. He has not responded to any comments. He seems to be a ghost participant.

The information already elicited about lead retail sources may be useful for others.

Please give a URL to ANY “plumbing warehouse” that sells lead to the public on a walk-in, cash-and-carry basis is a form that will be suitable to use as a trim weight on a small outboard boat. Without some sort of specific example and price, your suggestion of a “plumbing warehouse” is a bit vague.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:39 am

RocketMan wrote:I've added ballast to the bow of my 23 WA WD in the form of wake board boat bags. They are waterproof 50-lbs bags of iron shot— expensive but they have been a good solution.
Where do you buy “wake board boat bags”?

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:17 am

I see Amazon sells a 50 pound bag of steel shot listed as a wake boat bag for $69. It did say free shipping which surprised me. https://www.amazon.com/BALLASTExtra-Lb- ... 5320&psc=1

Buoy

Postby Buoy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:22 pm

[I] inserted 80-lbs of iron weightlifting plates into a waterproof bag and placed that bag under the deck on the starboard side [of an unknown boat]. [My] concern with using iron is that it would rust. I hope the waterproof bag will contain any rust particles.

So far [I[ am pleased with the results.

Thanks to all for your replies, [I] appreciate it.

[Moderator's note: converted all plural first-person pronouns--the royal "we"--to singular. Unless you are a sovereign ruler, the first-person singular pronoun "I" is appropriate here in the forum.]

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Good Grief.

The only models I am aware of that came with or had the need for ballast were certain 1990's era Conquests. The need for ballast was dependent on whether the boat was running single or twin outboards.

Bouy has not listed the year and model of the boat so we do not know why there is a need for ballast.

No information was provided on the weight distribution, no information was provided on operating conditions that would explain the need for ballast.

Adding weight might have counteracted the symptom but the "problem" still exists and is yet unsolved.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

fno

Postby fno » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:45 am

A busy tire shop may have plenty of lead in the form of wheel weight used for balancing tires. The old ones used to get thrown in a large bin and got in everyone's way. It's been a long time since I scavenged wheel weights from a tire shop but I suspect they would still be happy to give them or sell them at a reasonable cost.

A propane torch and iron ladle will be needed to melt the lead. Remove the steel clip with an old pair of pliers. Don't drop any liquid lead on your toes either.