RAGE 13 Hull Design

A conversation among Whalers
Big Tiki

RAGE 13 Hull Design

Postby Big Tiki » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:02 pm

Is the hull of a RAGE 13 the same hull as a DAUNTLESS 13?

ASIDE: I may buy a RAGE 13 that has been nicely converted to have to a Yamaha 40-HP outboard engine using an aluminum 10-inch set back bracket.

jimh

Re: RAGE 13 Hull Design

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:13 am

Compare the dimensions of the two hulls using the listing at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... tions.html

If you like the converted RAGE boat with outboard power, I wouldn't worry about what other model its hull might be similar to.

Big Tiki

Postby Big Tiki » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:05 pm

Thanks for the advice [to buy the converted RAGE 13 boat] if I like it, and not to worry about what other Boston Whaler boat the hull is similar to.

I have not see the [converted RAGE 13 boat] in person. I have to decide if a 350-mile-round-trip to see the boat in person is worth [the travel].

I read [somewhere] that a DAUNTLESS 13 boat was better riding than a classic 13-footer.

The hull on the [converted RAGE 13 boat] looks similar to a DAUNTLESS 13 boat. The [converted RAGE 13 boat] has more freeboard and a deeper V-hull compared to the flat bottom of a classic 13-footer.

I read [opinions that said] the Dauntless 13 gave a much better ride than the classic 13-footer.

The hull on the converted RAGE 13 looks similar to the Dauntless13; it has higher freeboard and more of a V-hull compared to the flat bottom of the classic 13-footer. This made me think the [converted RAGE 13 boat] might have the same on-the-water-characteristics as a Dauntless 13 boat.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:18 am

You're probably right [about the opinion you have formed that the DAUNTLESS 13=type hull is a better riding hull than the the original 13-foot Boston Whaler boat hull]. The 13-foot Boston Whaler original hulls are basically flat-bottom skiffs with a couple of strakes.

Search the website for [articles about both] the RAGE and DAUNTLESS 13.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:58 am

There is no doubt that the hull of THE RAGE (as the first 13-foot model was called) is not the same hull as the original STANDARD 13 hull of the 1960's.

If you really think that you would be better off with a DAUNTLESS 13, then I would recommend you look for one for sale, and give up on the modified RAGE 13 boat.

In the future if you decide to travel to see the modified RAGE boat and you decide to buy the modified RAGE boat and you get some time underway on the modified RAGE boat, and also at some other time in the future if you have an opportunity to spend some time on a DAUNTLESS 13 boat, perhaps you can make a comparison of how the ride of this modified RAGE boat with outboard engine compares to the ride of a standard DAUNTLESS 13. But until then I am not sure that speculation is going to be very likely to be helpful for your process of making a decision to buy or not to buy the modified RAGE boat.

Big Tiki

Postby Big Tiki » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Good advice jimh. The only reason I considering this converted Rage is price. The Dauntless 13's for sale I've seen are three times the price of this converted Rage. This would be a second boat for me, just a toy that will fit in our garage that I can take out by myself. My wife already thinks I'm crazy for wanting a second boat so the price is a real concern.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:52 am

Advise your wife that it is not rare for Boston Whaler boat owners to own more than one. A little psychology can be used. I found a nice used Sport 13 that would fit in any garage and bought it for my wife. She loves "her" little Whaler.
Butch

Big Tiki

Postby Big Tiki » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:15 pm

This would be our first Boston Whaler boat. Our current boat is 21-foot non-Boston Whaler boat.

I do like the idea of selling [my wife on the notion that, if I end up actually buying the modified RAGE outboard boat that is the topic of this thread, then that boat would become] her boat. A 13-footer is just her size.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:02 am

Big Tiki wrote:The only reason I considering this converted RAGE is price. The Dauntless 13 boats for sale I have seen are three times the price of this converted RAGE.
Generally older Boston Whaler boats that have had significant modifications to their hulls are not particularly held in high value, unless the modification was done extremely well and the modification resulted in an improvement. In the case of the original 13-foot boat THE RAGE, the water jet propulsion was probably not the greatest implementation. These older smaller RAGE boats have been converted to outboard engine power using a long set back bracket.

Many factors influence the price of a used Boston Whaler boat. The greatest influence is the overall condition of the hull and the presence of all original fittings and major components.

There is not much further advice that can be given. The decision to buy the boat is really entirely up to you.

If you take the 350-mile journey to see the boat in person and are still interested in buying but need some additional advice, you can revive the discussion at that point. I think you have a good understanding of the difference in the hull design of a RAGE 13-foot compared to other Boston Whaler boat models.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:30 am

Here is one further and important consideration which has just occurred to me regarding the conversion of a RAGE boat to become an outboard engine powered boat.

The RAGE boats use water jet propulsion. In water jet propulsion there must be a large water inlet on the hull bottom on a running surface of the hull that will always be immersed in water. When a hull with such a large opening on the hull bottom running surface is converted to outboard propulsion, that large opening must be patched and closed. Because the opening is on a running surface, the patch must be very strong.

I don't have any first-hand experience with the RAGE hulls, but I would expect that creating a patch to close the hull bottom opening that existed for the water jet would need to be very well done, as that area of the hull is going to be subject to a lot of hydraulic pressure from the water as the boat is being operated.

For these reasons, when buying a former RAGE hull converted to outboard propulsion, the buyer should be aware of the hull repair and how well that work was done. The Unibond hull construction of a Boston Whaler boat makes a repair like this quite important.

Big Tiki

Postby Big Tiki » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Good point on the underside of the hull conversion. I saw pictures of the boat upside down with the fiberglass work to the hull in progress. It looked like it was done well. We could never come to terms on the price so I decided to pass on the Rage.

ASIDE: I found a great deal on an unmolested classic Whaler 13 with a Yamaha 30-HP engine on a Magic-Tilt trailer that was originally a tender for a large yacht. It looks to be in great original shape, No bottom paint and NOT a bunch of holes drilled in it with poor repairs. It is in serious need of a buff and wax job. With that and a refinish of the wood, it will shine up like a bright new penny.