The Winter Solstice, and Fun with Math

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

The Winter Solstice, and Fun with Math

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:35 am

This morning I happened upon a nice illustration in a WGN Weather Blog article written by Paul Dailey, showing the highest angle to the sun in Chicago to occur on two days: the Winter Solstice and the Summer Solstice.

ChicagoWinterSolstice.jpg
Fig. 1. An illustration showing the solar angle in Chicago on the Winter and Summer Solstices. Adapted from the original at WGNTV.com.
ChicagoWinterSolstice.jpg (35.24 KiB) Viewed 1249 times

It occurred to me the information contained in the drawing would make possible the calculation of the Latitude of Chicago and the tilt of the Earth's axis of rotation with respect to the plane of its orbit around the Sun. The mathematics are quite simple. And a bit of basic astronomy will be required.

To solve these two problems requires understanding that the angle of the Sun's ray relative to the ground at the equator at local noon on equinox (when the sun will be directly overhead) will be 90-degrees, and the angle decreases as latitude increases to the North or South. Mathematically:

Solar angle = 90 - Latitude

At the Solstices, the sun angle will be increased (Summer) or decreased (Winter) by the amount of axis tilt of the Earth. This change in the apparent Solar angle is called the Declination of the Sun.

Solar angle = 90 - Latitude ± Declination

This means that the difference between the two angles, 71.6-degrees and 24.6-degrees, represent twice the angle of the Earth's rotation axis tilt. In one case it is being added, and the other it is being subtracted. Mathematically:

Axis tilt = (71.6 - 24.6) / 2
    Axis tilt = 47 / 2
    Axis tilt = 23.5 degrees

A check of the accepted value for the tilt of the Earth's axis of rotation revealed it was 23.436-degrees, so the error in my calculation was only 0.064-degrees. Now that we know the amount of influence from the Earth axis tilt on the solstices, we can solve easily for Latitude. Using the Winter Solstice example with Solar angle of 24.6-degrees gives:

Solar angle = 90 - Latitude - 23.5
    Substituting the sun angle of 24.6 gives
    24.6 = 90 - Latitude -23.5
    Rearranging
    Latitude = 90 - 24.6 - 23.5
    Latitude = 41.9 degrees North

A check on the location of downtown Chicago showed its location was roughly 41.9-degrees North Latitude.

An implication of this method is that a very patient observer could deduce his latitude by observing the angles on the two Solstices. How would he know the when the Solstice occurred? That is simple, the solar angle would be at its highest or lowest value. That is all the information contained in the newspaper graphic above.

Of particular importance for getting an accurate answer is the angles of the sun need to be accurate. Fortunately in the article the angle values were given to a tenth of a degree, and this allowed the Latitude of Chicago and the axis tilt of the Earth to be calculated to a similar precision. Out patient observer would need to have similar precision in his angle measurements.

On a related topic, see my experiment to measure the Amplitude of the Sun at Sunset:

Navigation Calculation
https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003307.html

The above thread also includes another experiment in how to measure the solar angle at local noon using a step ladder, a pole, and a ruler. And from that how to deduce the circumference of the Earth.

[Fixed several typo’s in the original version. Finally found the source URL for the article that inspired this post, and gave credit to the author. ]

porthole

Re: The Winter Solstice, and Fun with Math

Postby porthole » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:11 pm

Is there a similar formula to locate the degrees relative to the viewer at a set elevation?

I mentioned to buddy that I'm watching the sunset location change from our front porch - he challenged that the sun always sets in the west.

My porch faces due west, using the same relative elevation (just over some roof tps), for the winter solstice the sun sets approximately 240 degrees, the summer solstice it sets approximately 310 degrees
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Re: The Winter Solstice, and Fun with Math

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:57 am

porthole wrote:Is there a similar formula to locate the [bearing to the Sun in] degrees relative to the viewer at a set elevation?
I think you are asking for how to calculate the bearing from an observer to a celestial object. That is a complicated calculation as it depends entirely on the location of the observer, the time, and the particular celestial body.

porthole wrote:I mentioned to buddy that I'm watching the sunset location change from our front porch - he challenged that the sun always sets in the west.
First, your buddy is wrong. The only days when the sun sets exactly due West are the two equinoxes. Any other day the sun will set (or rise) at some angle other than due West (or due East)

With regard to sunset, the difference in the apparent bearing of the sun at sunset from due West is called the Amplitude of the Sun. For an explanation and a formula (a very complex one) to calculate the Amplitude of the Sun on a given day of the year at a given latitude of observer, see

https://thenauticalalmanac.com/2017_Bow ... itudes.pdf

Read at the section under the subheading "Amplitudes."

There are several on-line calculators that will compute the bearing of the Sun from a particular location at any time of the day on any particular day. Here is a link to one:

https://gml.noaa.gov/grad/solcalc/

For example, today, January 5, 2023, at my location sunset occurs at 5:17 p.m. local time, and the bearing to the Sun will be 239.97-degrees-True. This is a deviation from due-West of about 30-degrees. Welcome to Winter at Latitude 42-degrees-North.

By the way, I used that calculator for a very practical purpose: I used the azimuthal angle to the Sun on a particular day at a particular time to orient a very directive radio antenna toward the television broadcast transmitter I wanted to receive. See my article at

Antenna Alignment Using Sun Azimuth
https://continuouswave.com/radio/antenn ... imuth.html

In Bowditch's Practical Navigator there is a table that pre-computes the Amplitude of the Sun as function of the Sun's declination and your approximate latitude. See

https://thenauticalalmanac.com/2017_Bow ... itudes.pdf

If you look at the first column of the table (for Sun declination at 0-degrees) you see that the Amplitude is zero for all latitudes. This is another way to say that the only day the Sun sets exactly due West is at the Equinoxes.

The bearing of the Sun at sunset or sunrise is often used to check the accuracy of a compass.