Using Automobile Key Fob Technology to Replace Safety Lanyard Switch

A conversation among Whalers
RocketMan

Using Automobile Key Fob Technology to Replace Safety Lanyard Switch

Postby RocketMan » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:19 am

My automobile operates with a [wireless key fob]. My automobile knows when [the key fob is] inside or outside the automobile. This automobile won't lock you out if the FOB is in your pocket. If the automobile is running and you walk away, a beep is sounded.

Q1: why isn't technology like [that used in automobile key fobs] utilized to replace the conventional wired switch and a safety lanyard in boats?

[A key fob as used in an automobile] could be as good as or better [than a safety lanyard switch] and would be more readily used by boaters.

jimh

Re: Using Automobile Key Fob Technology to Replace Safety Lanyard Switch

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:25 pm

Automobile manufacturers usually deliver the automobile as a total system with the engine and all electronics.

Boat outboard engine manufacturers just deliver an engine; they do not deliver an entire boat, engine, and electronics package.

A wireless key fob can be added to a boat to act as an engine safety cut off switch, but it is usually an aftermarket product.

floater

Postby floater » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:57 pm

[To find wireless fob devices for use on an outboard engine to replace the wired safety cut-off switch, visit the website] GOOGLE.COM [and initiate a search using the arguments] wireless man overboard switch. [The results of such a search will give you] lots [of wireless key fob devices] to choose from.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:19 am

I followed the suggested search using GOOGLE.COM, but the results were very limited. Most of the search results were references to the FELL MARINE wireless engine safety shut off switch. The only other result was for a product made by ACR called the OLAS GUARDIAN wireless engine safety shut off switch. I would not call the results pointing to only two products as "lots of choices." There appears to be only two choices.

Further, both the FELL and ACR products only accomplish the function of shutting off an engine that is running when the remote transmitter distance from the receiver increases beyond a preset threshold.

The automotive key fob technology cited in the initial article performs the function of the ignition key switch. The automotive key fob technology does NOT shut off the engine when the distance of the wireless transmitter from the receiver exceeds a threshold, it is just cited as providing a "beep" signal.

A further difference between the automotive key fob and boats with outboard engines is the very common use in boat of more than one engine.

In automotive applications the presence of the key fob is generally required in order to initially start the engine. Engine starting without the key fob is generally not possible as that would be a risk and enable car theft. In the FELL wireless engine safety shut off switch, the inhibiting of engine start when no fob is present can be easily overridden manually.

In summary, I do not see that there is any particular impediment for use of a wireless fob device to cause engine safety shut off, but as I mentioned, because the integration of the engine with the boat and the boat electronics is not generally done as a complete system integration, the available products are aftermarket products. Whether in the future boat builders that are owned by larger companies that also own engine building companies will offer pre-configured and fully integrated wireless fob devices as replacements for engine safety shut off switches is difficult to predict. Adding the complexity of battery operated wireless devices may expose the manufacturer to some liability to a much greater extent than if they just provided a wired engine safety shut off switch with a lanyard.