Confirming Guardian Model

A conversation among Whalers
mds235

Confirming Guardian Model

Postby mds235 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:37 am

Hello, I may buy a 1984 Outrage that the seller says is a Guardian edition. The HIN is: BWC7311AM84I

Q1: is it possible to confirm whether the boat is a Guardian edition by the HIN?

Q2: if not, is there certain tell-tale signs that the boat is a Guardian?

I look forward to joining the Boston Whaler community.

jimh

Re: Confirming Guardian Model

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:44 am

mds235 wrote:I may buy a 1984 Outrage that the seller says is a Guardian edition. The HIN is: BWC7311AM84I

Q1: is it possible to confirm whether the boat is a Guardian edition by the HIN?

The federal hull identification number (HIN) applied to Boston Whaler boats in c.1984 used the manufacturer identity code (MIC) "BWC" for all boats. The use of a distinctive MIC for the HIN on boats made for government and commercial uses did not occur until after Boston Whaler became part of Brunswick corporation. On or about July 20, 2001, Boston Whaler began to use the MIC "WCG" (for Whaler Commercial and Government) on the HIN used on boats built specifically for use by government or commercial buyers.

This information is explained in greater detail in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) article in the REFERENCE section of the WHALER section of the website. Please note that the information contained on the website is not limited to information in this forum. See these links:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

The information about hull identification numbers is in the answer at

Q2: Where is the Hull Identification Number?
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

Some buyers of new Boston Whaler boats selected an option to have the hull laminate strength increased, and this was generally called the "work boat hull" option. See more about this option in the FAQ in the paragraphs under the heading Work Boat Hulls.

The boats with a work boat hull laminate were (sometimes) indicated by appending the letters WB to the HIN and (almost always) by being molded with a circular icon in gel coat resin in a contrasting hull color, often red but sometimes black. These hulls are known as "red dot hulls" (or perhaps "black dot hulls"). The location of the dot was on the hull sides aft near the transom. These gel coat dots are not decals; they are part of the gel coat layer of the hull, and they do not go away with age or fade out.

The use of a stronger hull laminate is a ESSENTIAL element of a Boston Whaler boat that is supposed to be a GUARDIAN.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:54 am

mds235 wrote:Q2: if [the HIN does not designate a boat as a GUARDIAN], are there certain tell-tale signs that the boat is a Guardian?

The designation of a Boston Whaler boat as a GUARDIAN would usually be indicated by a decal applied to the hull sides near the transom that explicitly said "GUARDIAN". If a boat has a decal that says "OUTRAGE" then that boat is not a GUARDIAN.

In c.1984 an OUTRAGE boat would have teak wood gunwale caps. A GUARDIAN would more likely have non-wood gunwale caps, made from reinforced laminates or aluminum plate.

Other components that typically would vary significantly in a GUARDIAN from a standard OUTRAGE would be the console, the windshield on the console, the rub rails, the inwale rod rack, the deck hatch covers, and the seating.

There is a very good article in the CETACEA collection that shows a GUARDIAN boat. Visit CETACEA Pages 10 and 12 to see how a typical GUARDIAN boat would appear.

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetac ... age10.html

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetac ... age12.html

There you will see what a typical GUARDIAN boat would look like, and its very distinctive appearance that easily distinguishes it from a standard OUTRAGE.

mds235

Postby mds235 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. The boat definitely has 'Outrage' spelled out on the hull, not Guardian, however, some of the components appear to be beefed up. For instance the gunwale tops do not have wood; however, I am not sure if the wood inserts were removed and covered with EVA foam sheets (which is a little concerning but may also be used as negotiation leverage).

Below are some photos of the boat. Notice the stern rails and metal plate on the front of the console.

Outrage1.jpeg
Fig. 1. The boat under discussion which the seller represents as a GUARDIAN.
Outrage1.jpeg (43.71 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Outrage2.jpeg
Fig. 2. The boat under discussion.
Outrage2.jpeg (75.2 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Outrage3.jpeg
Fig. 3. The boat under discussion.
Outrage3.jpeg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 1720 times

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:55 pm

It is possibly a workboat. See my other information I shared.

Several components have been replaced or covered up.

These days there isn't a premium for a Guardian versus an Outrage.

As presented the boat shows it has been used hard. Pricing opinions are going to run the gamut.

That trailer setup looks wonky. The aft cross member should be at the far end of the frame and it does not appear that way.

Personally I would be concerned with the engine, fuel tank and trailer condition. I would ballpark the boat at 10-14k.

Note:

New 150hp is 20-22K
Trailer 3-4K.
Fuel tank 1500-3000.

Also - I hate the foam sheets on the interior. It is used to cover damage or a superficial way to help appearance. It will not last very long and is a pain to remove.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:35 pm

It looks like the hull decal says "OUTRAGE." The deck has been replaced with what looks like faux wood decking material. The leaning post is unusual; the typical OUTRAGE seating would have been twin swivel seats or a reversible pilot seat.

How long is this boat? Whenever you mention a boat model like OUTRAGE, you have to define the length. There have been OUTRAGE boats made in 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25-foot lengths.

Regarding the gunwale caps, the typical older (c.1984) OUTRAGE boat would have teak wood gunwale caps. At some point, there was an option to have laminated gunwale caps instead of teak wood. Then the standard configuration changed to laminated gunwale caps, and wood was an option. Finally, wood was no longer available and all the gunwale caps became laminated.

Many owners prefer the teak wood gunwale caps for their more classic yacht appearance, but the laminated gunwale caps are more practical as they don't need much maintenance.

mds235

Postby mds235 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:14 am

It's a 1984 model year, so it would be an Outrage 18.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:47 am

Keep in mind with the age of these boats, owners have often modified them from their original state.

The decals have been changed. The top stripe with the model name was a 1990's thing. A 1980's boat would have the black 1" stripe and the model name (Outrage or Guardian) in black below the stripe on the aft corner.

I would suggest the gunwale caps are fiberglass or painted aluminum. Tap on them to determine which.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:08 am

mds235 wrote:It's a 1984 model year, so it would be an Outrage 18.
I don't see any correlation between the boat being a 1984 model and therefore must be an OUTRAGE 18. In 1984 there were OUTRAGE models available in 18, 20, 22, and 24(25)-feet lengths.