Selling off 1992 23 Walkaround with Damaged Hull

A conversation among Whalers
JLimb

Selling off 1992 23 Walkaround with Damaged Hull

Postby JLimb » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 am

I own a 1992 23 Walkaround. I purchased it about nine years ago without a survey. The prior owner did the same. Never again.

Two years ago we found a large area on the bottom filled with epoxy; I had this area repaired.

While doing this repair another large spot was found toward the bow. The repair was done and I thought okay.

My mechanic found another large spot on the starboard side running from about the steering wheel to the forward chines. There is water dripping from the area. The glass guy can't get to it for a few months and said to go ahead and use it. I am choosing not to as it would always be on my mind. I am thinking: "if I repair this area will another crop up a year from now?"

The other repairs were done by first putting big heat lamps around the hull and then attaching vacuum lines to draw out the water. Once the repairers felt that they had the water out they removed any damaged foam, replaced it, and did the glass.

My problem is that the area showing now is next to the prior repair which to me means more problems down the road. Should I walk away from the boat and sell the motors which only have about 124 hours on them ? Thank you for any thoughts on the matter.