Endorsement of CARVER Boat Cover

A conversation among Whalers
Denny 47

Endorsement of CARVER Boat Cover

Postby Denny 47 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:54 pm

I was looking for a cover for boat cover for [a c.1989 MONTAUK 17--always mention the year, the model, and the length in your post.] After reader comments in the forum, I bought a CARVER boat cover.

The choices for the fabric for the cover were marine acrylic--the most expensive--and SUNDURA (about half the cost of the acrylic). Both marine acrylic and SUNDURA fabrics were highly rated. The marine acrylic is said to better in a wet area and will breathe better. I chose the marine acrylic fabric.

I also ordered two cover support poles that snap into pre-sewn, reinforced snap positions on the cover; one pole is located forward of the center console, and a second pole is behind the center console.

The fit and finish of the CARVER cover was excellent. I liked that it was manufactured in the United States. The cover is heavy and should last longer than I do. The boat cover includes a a separate cover for an outboard engine.

The cover went on just before a series of storms; the cover performed as advertised.

ASIDE: the folks at Covercraft were very good and helped me make the decisions. The cover was expensive, but because I am a military veteran I was given a ten-percent discount.

Jefecinco

Re: Endorsement of CARVER Boat Cover

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:13 am

Is the marine acrylic fabric you refer to Sunbrella fabric? I once tried a Sundura cover but was disappointed with it's performance. Carver allowed me to return it after a season of use and credited the cost against a replacement Sunbrella cover. I have never had better customer service than Carver's. My several Carver covers over the years have always fit our boats very well. I always include extra tie down straps when purchasing because the straps do not fare well in sunlight.

If you use the cover for towing tighten the straps after the first five miles or so as they will stretch when new. Keep an eye on them afterward as they may need to be tightened again.
Butch

Denny 47

Postby Denny 47 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:33 am

Thanks for the tip on towing with the cover. That will save me an embarrassing moment or two on the highway.

Caver did not describe the material as Sunbrella but as “Premium 100% Marine Acrylic”. “100% solution dyed acrylic”. It was recommended over the Sundura because the acrylic is suppose to be better in a rainy environment. We’ll see how that works out in the Pacific Northwest. The under side of my last cover looked like a slimy putting green after a couple of years.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:40 am

The fabric SUNBRELLA made by Glen Raven Mills has been used for making marine weather canvas for many decades. While some fabricators of off-the-shelf boat canvas may use alternative fabrics, the track record of SUNBRELLA, its durability, and its color-fast nature are all most desirable characteristics that are very hard to beat with alternative fabrics.