E-TEC Engine: Love or Hate

A conversation among Whalers
Quogue

E-TEC Engine: Love or Hate

Postby Quogue » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:49 am

I have heard much about the E-TEC engines as being either hated or loved.

On my newest used Boston Whaler boat, the engine is a 2010 Evinrude E-TEC 130-HP.

I also have a 2007 E-TEC on my 1987 MONTAUK [UNKNOWN LENGTH], and a 2013 E-TEC 275 on my REVENGE 22. Both engines were purchased used, and I have had very few problems with them.

I have done very little maintenance on the E-TEC engines. The 90-HP has only had gear case lubricant changed. The 275-HP needed a replacement trim-tilt motor, but that was covered under warranty. A three-year-service procedure was performed. Because of the low run time hours and diligence in avoiding intake of sand in the cooling system, I have skipped service other than gear case oil change

These E-TEC engines only get about 50 to 75 hours of use each season. They are used in eastern Long Island's short boating seasons.

I hope this more recently purchased E-TEC 130-HP engine runs as the others have.

jimh

Re: E-TEC Engine: Love or Hate

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:07 am

My feelings are thus: I love the E-TEC engine I have, but I hate the decision by BRP to cease their manufacture.

The maintenance of an E-TEC engine should not be neglected. Although the factory advice for recommended maintenance intervals tends to be generous in the number of hours or years permitted, that advice only applies to certain use situations. I recommend reading the owner's manual carefully to see if the operation of a particular E-TEC engine fits into the type use covered in the longer maintenance intervals.

The decision of Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) to cease manufacturing the Evinrude E-TEC outboard engine and the E-TEC G2 outboard engine was certainly a shock to owners of those engines, but the notion that they are no longer being made does not alter the quality with which the existing engines were made. In regard to quality and reliability of the E-TEC engines, the legacy E-TEC engines made in the production era 2009 to end of their production are, in my opinion, very good outboard engines. But they still require care and ongoing service to maintain them.

If interested, you can find a detailed maintenance history of my particular E-TEC 2010 225-HP engine in a prior discussion at

E-TEC Engine: Maintenance History After Ten Seasons
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=3937

Quogue

Postby Quogue » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:48 am

Hi Jim--your maintenance history will be quite helpful.

[Moderator's note: a discussion about particular problems encountered with a particular E-TEC engine has been moved to REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS for further discussion. This thread is discussing the general feelings of Love or Hate toward the E-TEC engine. ]

AD3804

Postby AD3804 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:34 am

So far, I love my 2019 E-TEC 90 hp. Less than 100 hours. Very trouble free. Good power for my 1970 Sakonnet.
John
M/V Makai -- "The Potomac Princess"
'70 Sakonnet w/ '19 Evinrude etec 90

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:46 pm

I love my 2010 E-Tec 150 on a 190 Montauk. I purchased my Montauk new in 2008 and I just could not deal with the Merc 115 that came with it. I put the 150 on and it felt like I had just bought a high performance boat. My only problem with the E-Tec is that I have had to change out 2 fuel pumps, that's it, nothing else has gone wrong. 469 hrs on the engine and have performed 3 300 hr services.

I would buy an E-Tec without hesitation if they were still being made!